As VP of Workplace Engineering, you will provide leadership and direction to establish and execute infrastructure transformation programs across all Workplace Service functions, End user Devices, Productivity, Collaboration, Platforms, and Core Workplace Infrastructure services. By directly leading a team of senior infrastructure engineers and employing matrix leadership skills across a large set of application architecture and infrastructure engineering team members you will enable us to achieve innovation, productivity, risk management, and cost optimization goals. In this role you will utilize your expertise in organizational change management, business needs analysis, strategy development, community development, infrastructure architecture, legacy, current, and next gen technologies. By interacting across all lines of businesses and levels of the organization you will demonstrate exemplary communication and alignment building skills with CIOs, CFOs, VPs, Directors, Functional Business Leaders and Engineers. By closely working with your peers in Global Technology and Data groups you will ensure that workplace, infrastructure, application, and data architecture strategies are closely integrated. Additionally, you will work closely with peers leading finance, sourcing, and operations towers and contribute to leadership and decision making for the Corporate IT organization.
- Drive successful delivery of currently executing Workplace projects and transition to operations
- Partner with business unit application architects and other business and IT stakeholders to define and maintain workplace infrastructure architecture blueprints (current and future state).
- Manage and guide a team of senior engineers. Provide excellent coaching and support development of resources. Establish and foster a high performance and high collaboration culture amongst team members.
- Provide innovative leadership to the entire engineering organization to support following activities - research, analyze, and implement strategic infrastructure capabilities in the End User Computing, Cloud Capabilities, Storage, Software Defined Data Center, Networking etc. Deliverables include Position Papers, Reference Architectures, Evaluation Analysis, Business Case, and Implementation Roadmaps. Provide matrix leadership and guidance to infrastructure engineers and application teams to ensure that blue-prints and strategies are executed upon to realize promised benefits.
- Assume end to end leadership and benefits realization responsibility for the McGraw Hill Cloud Program. Provide leadership in the development and automation of patterns.
- Lead the enterprise architects to contribute to the development and maintenance of Infrastructure Standards working closely with Engineering and application teams.
- Review and Improve Infrastructure Solutions for Critical Business Applications to ensure compliance to Security, Availability, and Technology Standards.
- Lead Communities of Interest with Application Development, Infrastructure Engineering, and Outsourced Vendors to provide a climate of collaboration and partnership across the IT organization.
- Provide leadership and guidance to enterprise infrastructure initiatives to review infrastructure platform initiatives such as refresh and upgrade programs.
- Oversee Program Management resources appointed to support infrastructure transformation programs.
- Personally lead communities of interest for various disciplines.
- Manage budgets for large programs.
- Develop and syndicate strategy and roadmaps and continuously refresh them based on evolving business needs.
- Provide leadership for the Corp IM interactions with the business units for technology.
- Provide leadership for Enterprise Architecture Council meetings.
This role is responsible for owning the following:
- Enterprise infrastructure architecture blueprints
- Enterprise infrastructure architecture roadmap
- Enterprise capability initiatives from conception to realization
- Technology standards
- Decision making for infrastructure architecture and strategy.
This role is responsible for influencing the following:
- Definition and adherence to enterprise infrastructure architecture standards
- EA leadership decisions impacting MHF architecture
- Project review and approval process
- Solutions for Enterprise Infrastructure Initiatives
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience with a preference for an information based services group such as Financial Services, Banking, Insurance, or Media verticals.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the Infrastructure discipline in Solution and Infrastructure Engineering functions with project leadership experience.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of staff management experience with large teams.
- High degree of familiarity, fluency, and experience with modern infrastructure technologies such as Cloud, BYOD, Software Defined Data Center, PaaS,
- Previous experience with deployment of EUC or Cloud based technologies
- Previous experience with leading shared services direction with data center strategy, storage, and network services.
- Previous experience to working in a multi-vendor sourcing environment.
- Previous experience with leading large programs over $10M
- Previous leadership experience in an enterprise role serving more than one business unit
- Previous experience with leading solutions architecture in infrastructure domain
- Previous experience in development and rollout of enterprise standards
- Understanding of all infrastructure disciplines including compute, storage, networking, and EUC
- Deep understanding of the relationship between application design, data and infrastructure environments
- Experience in establishing IT standards based on industry best practices and implementing them across the enterprise
- Experienced in driving change across the organizational boundaries
- Experience in standing up new processes and supporting an environment of continuous improvement
- Exceptional negotiating and communications skills required.
- Education: Minimum four-year degree in Computer Science/Software Engineering or related degree program, or equivalent experience
- Master’s degree in Business (MBA), Computer Science/Software Engineering or related degree program is a strong plus