Associate - Enviromental & Climate Risk Research (Global Infrastructure Ratings) - London
We are currently looking for a highly skilled and motivated individual to join our Global Infrastructure Ratings group as an Associate based in our London office focused on environmental and climate risk research, joining a newly established analytical team to support the new Green Evaluation offering.
The Associate undertakes rigorous analytical work and is proficient in conducting research and fundamental environmental impact analysis. The successful candidate is able to work effectively in a fast paced environment, possess strong interpersonal and communication skills, is customer-oriented, and demonstrates excellent presentation skills in front of internal and external audiences. The Associate will take a senior role in the development, application and roll out of a new product (the Green Evaluation) focused on evaluating the environmental impact of financings including, but not limited to, green bonds. You will be involved in the following:
The co-development of the methodology to assess the environmental impact of financings
Identifying potential gaps and developing solutions to these
Testing assumptions and extensive sensitivity analysis using Excel
- Collaborating with a wide range of analysts across the organization and working extensively on new Green Evaluations
Drafting relevant documentation and research commentaries in relation to the product
Providing training and support as well as environmental expertise to the rest of the business in regard to this product
Outreach activities (both internally and externally)
The successful candidate will be comfortable in an environment of continuous improvement and high customer service standards while adhering to established ratings criteria, policies and procedures.
The development and roll out of the Green Evaluation product is a central part of S&P Global’s strategy in increasing its presence in the sustainable finance market. This role is crucial is supporting the execution of this strategy. The integration of environmental & climate risk into credit analysis is also a key priority for the organization and high profile.
• This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in the sustainability space, which is a key strategic initiative for S&P Global Ratings Services and for S&P Global corporate-wide.
• At S&P Global Ratings, your analytical opinion truly matters and each person who works here has an essential role in our reputation of integrity, transparency, and ratings excellence.
• S&P Global Ratings plays a vital role in bringing transparency and comparability to the financial markets and helps investors and others measure and manage credit risk.
• By supporting capital markets, S&P Global Ratings helps people to start and grow businesses, cities and states to build highways and hospitals, and manufacturers to build factories and create jobs.
• With offices in 26 countries, rating $47.5 trillion in debt, and with nearly 1,400 credit analysts, S&P Global Ratings is an important part of the world’s financial infrastructure and has played a leading role for more than 150 years in providing investors and financers the information they need to more easily, quickly and efficiently provide capital to businesses and governments.
The Career Opportunity:
The role will allow the candidate to expand his or her exposure and experience in both environmental & climate risk research as well as credit risk analysis. It will also permit cross-practice and cross-segment growth opportunities. As an Associate, you are working as part of the Global Infrastructure Ratings group at S&P Global Ratings. With the guidance of a senior analyst, a qualified Associate typically maintains direct analytical responsibility for a portfolio of rated corporate and project finance issuers. These responsibilities include ongoing surveillance and rating recommendations, repeat analytical contact with rated entities’ senior management, and presentation of analytical findings to internal and external constituencies. A high performing Associate is likely to be considered for rating more complex and higher profile issuers, as well as for investor outreach. We prepare our most successful Associates and Associate Directors to become our future senior analysts that act as spokespersons and senior analytical leaders in sector teams.
The Team / The Business:
The Global Infrastructure Practice was established by S&P Global Ratings to expand our ratings franchise in an area of strong growth and to leverage our significant global infrastructure expertise across the full range of infrastructure asset classes. Analytical team members reside in 16 locations globally and work on a diverse range of transactions globally applying different ratings criteria, predominantly corporate and project finance. We also work on transactions in partnership with other practices and segments at S&P Global on a regular basis. Effective teamwork and a thoughtful approach to problem solving are highly valued. The Environmental & Climate Risk Research team is leading the development and roll out of the new Green Evaluation product offering which aims to evaluate the environmental net benefit or adaptation benefit to determine a Green Evaluation score.
• Post-graduate qualification in Finance, Economics, Accounting, Engineering, Mathematics and/or CFA preferred. Environmental science background is essential.
• Solid, demonstrable experience within a large commercial bank, investment bank, investing institution/asset manager, or an audit company working in the field of credit/environmental analysis of multinational corporations.
• Strong analytical skills with a deep understanding of financial statement analysis and accounting concepts.
• Proficiency with figures and the ability to maintain accuracy and be detail oriented while complying with deadlines.
• Strong Excel/Word/PowerPoint and database application skills. Ability to prepare forecasts based upon reasoned assumptions will be required.
• Solid communication skills, verbal and written, as well as the capacity to expand, learn, and make a contribution.
About S&P Global
S&P Global Ratings is the world’s leading provider of independent credit ratings. Our ratings are essential to driving growth, providing transparency and helping educate market participants so they can make decisions with confidence. We have more than 1 million credit ratings outstanding on government, corporate, financial sector and structured finance entities and securities. We offer an independent view of the market built on a unique combination of broad perspective and local insight. We provide our opinions and research about relative credit risk; market participants gain independent information to help support the growth of transparent, liquid debt markets worldwide.
S&P Global Ratings is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spglobal.com/ratings
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.