The Role: Gas Analyst
The Location: London
The Role: Platts Analytics is looking for an experienced analyst to drive forward its European gas fundamental and price forecasting and analysis service under the market-leading Eclipse brand. This exciting role will be pivotal in developing models that underpin our market leading gas service. A strong set of quantitative analysis and technical skills is essential. Detailed knowledge of European gas markets is highly desirable.
The successful candidate will be able to quickly identify the key fundamentals and behaviours driving, in particular, the short term price and fundamental dynamics in European gas markets, and apply that understanding to help develop our fundamental analysis and price forecasting service.
The Impact: The European Gas and Power Analytics team is responsible for analysing, interpreting and forecasting European gas and power market fundamentals and prices. Our customers represent a wide range across the industry so our analysis is reviewed and challenged from many different perspectives. You will play a key role in expanding the highly rated Eclipse services into major new growth areas.
What’s in it for you: This is a role with significant potential for development within a short timeframe. You will be a key input into how the Platts Analytics European gas prompt analysis service develops in the coming months and years. In addition there will be ample opportunity to contribute to other areas of our market leading modelling and analysis, and to take part in customer-facing activities, including webinars and conference presentations.
- Be a key player in further developing our European gas modelling capability which underpins our analysis and forecasting service, particularly for the prompt. This will involve developing quantitative models (fundamental and/or econometric) and processing and analysing large quantities of data to identify the key drivers for prices at the key European gas hubs.
- Develop a robust view of supply and demand fundamentals and continuously follow, analyse and anticipate market behaviour and drivers.
- Be a significant contributor to the Eclipse market-leading Gas price forecasting services.
- Support in the production of analytical content for our subscription-based reports targeting analysts and traders across the European energy market.
What we’re looking for:
- Experience in European gas markets (trading, analysis) and analytics.
- Advanced technical skills and the ability to use structured queries to interact with databases, e.g. via SQL, as well as analysis tools such as Tableau are essential.
- A high degree of proficiency in Excel as well as applied knowledge of programming languages like VBA and Python is required.
- Applied detailed knowledge of gas market modelling is desirable, including experience in the design and implementation of advanced fundamental and/or econometric models to forecast gas flows and prices.
- Independent and creative thinker with strong attention to detail but with the ability to put detail into context.
- A natural leaning towards forecasting “what’s next”.
- Ability to prioritize and apply the right level of approximat
Application Closing Date: 17th July 2017
About Eclipse Energy/Platts and S&P Global
Eclipse Energy Group is the leading energy analysis and forecasting company for European gas and power markets covering day ahead to 2040. Our customers cover at least 80% of the market including most major banks, producers and utilities across North-West Europe.
Eclipse was acquired by Platts in July 2014 and provides the following services:
• Price forecasts and scenarios
• Analysis and market commentary
• Analytics and fundamental market data
• Advisory services
Platts is a premier source of benchmark price assessments and commodities intelligence. At Platts, the content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the energy, petrochemicals, metals and agricultural markets.
Learn more at https://www.platts.com/
S&P Global includes Ratings, Market Intelligence, S&P Dow Jones Indices and Platts. Together, we’re the foremost providers of essential intelligence for the capital and commodities markets.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.