S&P Global Platts
The role: The Global Director, Oil Markets will lead a global team producing price assessments, market-related news, analysis, and deep customer engagement for the oil markets around the world.
This is a pivotal role within the Platts leadership team. In this role you will be responsible for leading the development of strategies around oil market coverage, with a strong focus on building and strengthening new and existing benchmarks that drive growth, help markets function efficiently and create customer value.
Additionally, you will ensure thorough and innovative coverage of markets, including leading coverage of new market spaces, and will be responsible for engaging with customers, senior stakeholders across the markets, regulators and senior members of the company.
You will also be responsible for defending and developing some of the biggest and most influential benchmarks in the oil markets, including Brent, Dubai, and refined products benchmarks in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. You will lead a market reporting team of more than 100 people spread across the following locations London, Houston, Singapore and Tokyo. The Global Director,Oil Markets will report to Global Head of Energy Pricing, and is a member of the Content Management Board.
You will have significant experience in the oil market with a deep understanding of oil market assessments, and price reporting practices across energy and commodity markets. In addition you will be an outstanding leader with a global mindset who establishes and drives a culture of excellence, collaboration, personal accountability and strategic direction that delivers business success. You will also have substantial experience and a proven track record of leading large functions, and creating and managing high performing teams.
The hiring manager says: The global oil markets are dynamic and an important component of global and local economies. In this role, you’re leading a big, global and very talented team that is at the forefront of discussions and innovations in this exciting market space. This is a key role within the Platts leadership team, and you’ll be driving conversations that are also ultimately at the core of the Platts business overall. Platts’ culture is collegiate & meritocratic, and there is significant opportunity for upward career trajectory for high performers.
• Lead and develop the global oil team
• Establish and communicate Platts’ oil vision, initiatives and strategic priorities for the function and holds team accountable to achieve strategy.
• Support and champion content initiatives.
• Direct and motivate the team. Conduct managerial performance reviews, coach managers, empower team, foster collaboration, encourage innovation and address flight risks.
• Develop talent base and leaders for succession.
• Develop workforce plan and talent strategy for the function.
• Develops data and content leadership.
• Act as global ambassador for oil. Engage with regulators, customers, industry and media to educate the groups on the value Platts offers to the commodity markets.
• Accountable for establishing oil content goals, quality and operational metrics.
• Establish and direct the publishing priorities for oil in discussion with the stakeholders.
• Implement new content and support development of products aligned to Platts business goals and ensure relevance of content for customers.
• Education and engagement with the senior management and Platts EC.
• Represent Platts to its customers to ensure relevance, customer growth & loyalty and an improved understanding of Platts business.
• Collaborate to establish Platts oil standards, practices and policies to ensure compliance with new and existing regulatory expectations.
• Drive excellence in news and price reporting.
• Manage budget of and all related expenses, as well as reporting of operations and strategic outcomes through company reporting processes.
Skills & Experience:
• An outstanding leader with a global mindset who establishes and drives culture, collaboration, personal accountability and strategic direction that delivers business success. Ability to set strategy and translate ideas and targets into clear action plans and goals.
• Significant experience in the Oil market with a deep understanding of Oil market assessments, price reporting across energy and commodity markets.
• Substantial experience in leadership roles leading large functions. Demonstrated ability to create high performing teams.
• Key to this role will be a deep understanding and engagement of the business stakeholders, and external market interactions with respect to global regulatory rules and industry best practice.
• Proven strong interpersonal and relationship building skills and ability to influence at the highest levels within organisations. Able to work with globally distributed market participants, senior level regulators and internal (highly matrixes) teams.
• Tenacity and ability to navigate a complex matrix structure, including a proven ability to overcome obstacles and maintain productive relationships across the organization in order to achieve business results.
• Strong decision making ability and ability to gain buy-in to decisions and drive issues to completion.
• Ability to identify talent and nurture development within and across teams to ensure succession plans are actionable as needed.
• Excellent at identifying improvements and efficiencies and implementing processes that continually promote productivity and quality improvements.
• Good understanding of finance and ability to understand & manage budgets.
• Advanced degree, MBA or equivalent.
About S&P Global Platts
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with conviction. We’re the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence.For more information, visit www.platts.com
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or other legally protected categories, subject to applicable law.