The Role: Contract Negotiator
The Location: Charlottesville, VA
The Impact: Reporting to Assistant General Counsel, you are responsible for managing the negotiation and drafting process of a variety of contracts including service agreements, customer contracts, software licenses, amendments and order forms. This position requires the ability to manage the demands of S&P Global's sales and business organization while also ensuring that policies and procedures relating to the contract process are followed.
The Business: We’re the world’s foremost provider of ratings, benchmarks and analytics in the global capital and commodity markets. Our divisions include: S&P Global Ratings, S&P Global Market Intelligence, S&P Global Platts, and S&P Dow Jones Indices.
What’s in it for you:
- In this role, you will have the opportunity to draft and negotiate contract agreements that are crucial to our commercial organization.
- Responsible for managing the negotiation process of a variety of contracts including service agreements, customer contracts, software licenses, amendments, order forms and related documents; work directly with internal and external clients in the contract negotiation process, including ensuring that sales and business personnel comply with department policies and procedures in this regard.
- Negotiate, draft and finalize agreements and amendments with the goal of memorializing product license/contractual relationships between S&P Global and its clients. Work with legal team on escalation and approval issues. Review and proofread all work product (including final versions of contracts for signature) for typographical errors, proper formatting, references to and insertion of exhibits, etc. Assist the legal team as needed, in, among other things, handling of more customized transactions and the drafting of boilerplate forms.
- Strong knowledge of contracts database for purposes of: (a) summarizing and cataloguing provisions from negotiated deals; (b) ensuring that the correct contract documents are being leveraged; and (c) data entry, as needed. Strong knowledge of legal department website, the additional contract provisions dictionary, and other forms and applications that are part of the contract process.
- Work with department management, as needed, to create efficiencies and set and enforce policies and procedures relating to contract process.
- Special projects as assigned by management team. Involvement/leadership in a variety of projects, including due diligence activities related to acquisitions and divestitures, archiving, and other projects as needed.
What We’re Looking For:
- Incumbent must have a college degree and at least 10+ years of related experience
- Strong contract negotiation and drafting and business writing skills; detail oriented
- Ability to work independently, directly with internal and external clients and escalate to attorneys as necessary.
- Awareness of pertinent business and legal issues to ensure consistent approach to contract documentation/transactions. Commercially aware individual with a strong working knowledge of contract and intellectual property issues.
- Must be able to juggle multiple priorities at once.
- Incumbent must have excellent organizational skills, communicate effectively with all levels of management within S&P and customer and vendor firms, and the ability to think outside the box in order to provide solutions.
- Incumbent must also keep current with the rapidly evolving industry trends and practices, as they relate to among other things, the financial industry, intellectual property, technology, etc.
About S&P Global Market Intelligence
At S&P Global Market Intelligence, we know that not all information is important—some of it is vital. Accurate, deep and insightful. We integrate financial and industry data, research and news into tools that help track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, understand competitive and industry dynamics, perform valuation and assess credit risk. Investment professionals, government agencies, corporations and universities globally can gain the intelligence essential to making business and financial decisions with conviction.
S&P Global Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit, S&P Global Market Intelligence
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions on the basis of merit, capability and equality of opportunity, and without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law, or any other characteristic that has no bearing on a person’s ability to perform his or her job.
Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.