S&P Global Ratings
The Role: Senior Economist
The Location: Paris, France
The Team: The EMEA economics team provides key input to the various ratings practices in the form of forecast and analysis. It also interacts with market participants (investors, issuers, regulators and central banks, media). The team thrives on developing accurate forecasts and prognosis, clear and crisp communication and complete independence.
The Impact: The purpose of this position is to provide research and forecasting support to the chief EMEA economist. The economist will be responsible for conducting in-depth economic analysis on a variety of European economies, but mainly in the Eurozone. The economist’s responsibilities will include maintaining databases, using econometric models to develop forecasts, writing reports and making internal and investor-facing presentations.
What’s in it for you?
- Collaborate with S&P senior economists across the globe (US, Asia/Pac, Latam)
- Wide exposure to major S&P events across the region (seminars, conferences)
- Media interaction
- Interaction with ley market percipients (central banks, investment banks)
- Opportunities to develop a career either within the global economic team or eventually another part of the Ratings organization
- Develop strong relationships with other practices within S&P, especially the Sovereign group to benefit from their inside views and exchange thoughts and projections
- Acquire strong understanding of the ratings process and how economic and financial projections fit into that process
- Be prepared to defend S&P’s views in the market place and the media. S&P is highly visible in financial markets and our opinions and views are subject to extensive comments. S&P economists are often “on the spot” when it comes to defending the firm’s views
What we’re looking for:
- Undertake research and analysis of economic and financial trends and developments in specific European and occasionally MEA countries under the direction of the Chief EMEA Economist.
- Prepare written reports for publication on economic and market trends in economies under coverage.
- Prepare, maintain and update PowerPoint and other presentations for internal and external use, including helping to prepare inputs to the Credit Conditions Committee.
- Develop relationships with thought leaders and officials in those countries under coverage (central banks, national statistical offices, academic researchers)
- Develop relationships with tier-1 media in countries under coverage to give S&P’s economic views high visibility
- PhD or equivalent degree from a highly regarded university in an economic field of study, with a monetary policy or macroeconomic concentration
- 3+ years of experience in economic forecasting, preferably using econometric models, covering European and/or emerging countries preferably in a financial institution or a supranational organization (e.g. OECD, IMF..) or an economic think-tank
- Proven track record in publishing analytical reports in English demonstrating independence and objectivity
- Good presentation skills
- Language skills (besides English) are desired.
About S&P Global Ratings
S&P Global Ratings is the world’s leading provider of independent credit ratings. Our ratings are essential to driving growth, providing transparency and helping educate market participants so they can make decisions with confidence. We have more than 1 million credit ratings outstanding on government, corporate, financial sector and structured finance entities and securities. We offer an independent view of the market built on a unique combination of broad perspective and local insight. We provide our opinions and research about relative credit risk; market participants gain independent information to help support the growth of transparent, liquid debt markets worldwide.
S&P Global Ratings is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spglobal.com/ratings
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related to such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or other legally protected categories, subject to applicable law.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.