S&P Dow Jones Indices
Index Manager, Index Maintenance – S&P Dow Jones Indices
As an Index Manager in the Index Maintenance and Production Group (IMPG), the analyst will be responsible for the day to day management and oversight of various Asia Pacific indices. This includes the high profile S&P/ASX and S&P/NZX indices, which have billions of dollars in assets tied to them through various client linked products such as index funds and ETFs. As an Index Manager, they will work closely with the Market Management team to validate corporate actions research of constituent companies in each assigned index, ensuring they are correctly applied according to the respective methodology. The analyst will perform daily calculations of indices whilst ensuring accuracy (quality assurance) of each assigned index and timely distribution and dissemination of index data reports. Additionally, they will be responsible for supporting the index rebalancing process, involving reconstitutions by interpreting index methodologies, running models and research for add/drops, implementing changes and sending rebalance announcements to clients for all S&P/ASX and S&P/NZX indices.
- Preparing and calculating S&P Dow Jones branded indices, including the high profile S&P/ASX and S&P/NZX indices. This includes performing analytical research on companies to determine the composition of the index, adjusting data in our calculation system, and adjusting the data to conform to the rules of the index.
- Day to day maintenance of S&P Dow Jones Indices via the analysis of corporate actions, company takeovers etc.
- Data collection and research of companies as part of the index review process (market capitalisation, liquidity and free float).
- Must ensure timely and accurate delivery of real-time and end-of-day index data to clients and end users.
- Using equity databases to facilitate reports and queries for internal and client use. Quantitative analyses of index returns, weights, constituents, and fundamentals.
- Manages and maintain relationships with key members of other groups within S&P Dow Jones Indices, across other S&P Dow Jones departments (Product Management, R&D, and Client Coverage).
- Provide updates to their Manager on incidents and activities within the team.
- Works in a polite and professional manner when dealing with users/clients both internal & external
- Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Produces analytical documentation on a written and graphical scale
- Contributes to an enthusiastic, positive work climate; energises others
- Requests assistance/support from managers and peers when required
- Has the ability to make presentations on index related subjects at meetings
2. Customer Focus
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and responsiveness to customer enquiries
- Sets and manages customers’ expectations by communicating what can or cannot be accomplished/delivered
- Strives to meet and/or exceed customer expectations
- Uses effective questioning and listening skills in order to identify customers’ needs and expectations
- Builds and maintains effective professional relationships with customers
- Manages self, time and schedules efficiently
- Understands business requirements, and liaise comfortably with technical staff
- Manages a variety of responsibilities concurrently
- Takes responsibility for actions, projects and tasks, and follows through to completion
- Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to consider alternatives; has a positive attitude towards change
- Demonstrates commitment through actions
- Gains respect quickly; builds the trust and confidence of others at all levels
- Shares information, skill, and expertise with others; works in collaboration with others
- Value group achievement over individual recognition
- Builds effective networks and alliances inside the company that helps S&P Dow Jones Indices achieve its goals.
- Index Committees provide necessary governance to S&P branded indices. The maintenance analyst must take all necessary action to ensure that members of the Committees have necessary information and analysis to understand and take on the maintenance of the indices being developed. This work requires that the analyst coordinate with teams and groups outside of direct reporting lines and influence their priorities ensuring necessary quality of work.
- Reliance on multiple departments, exchange partners and vendors for data and analytic platforms
- Volume of data creates its own complexity
- At times, will require interpretation of complex financial transactions.
- Requires ability to understand and replicate complex models, requires ability to deal with clients on the phone, often on tight deadlines without providing information that is restricted or embargoed
- Requires the ability to troubleshoot non-routine problems in a timely manner
- Understanding of equity markets & a familiarity with commodities pricing and bond calculations an advantage
- Must be able to work independently on multiple projects with minimal direction or supervision
- Bachelor’s Degree. Advanced degree in business, math, economics, or finance strongly preferred
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent analytical and quantitative capabilities to solve original, non-routine problems in a timely and insightful manner
- Must be able to understand complex models and calculation algorithms
- Working knowledge of analytical applications such as Excel and Access, and various data vendor tools including Reuters, CapitalIQ, & FactSet
- Ability to learn S&P Dow Jones’ proprietary index calculation engines
- Understanding of global financial markets
- Strong numerical skills
- Familiarity with stock market indices and their calculation methodologies is certainly a plus.
- Ability to assume responsibility, work with others and manage projects
- Ability to learn new data and calculation platforms in a limited time
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to coordinate work done by multiple people and / or groups. Proficiency in Microsoft Office required
- Experience dealing with customers in a time-sensitive demanding environment where interpretation of data has both objective and subjective components requiring persuasion and influencing skills
- Minimum of 2-3 years of professional working experience in a similar role (background in any index/ETF related or corporate actions treatment based roles would be considered favourably)
- Applicants need to have required work authorization in AU
About S&P Dow Jones Indices
At S&P Dow Jones Indices, our role can be described in one word: essential. We’re the largest global resource for index-based concepts, data and research, and home to iconic financial market indicators, such as the S&P 500® and the Dow Jones Industrial Average®. More assets are invested in products based upon our indices than any other index provider in the world; with over 1,000,000 indices, S&P Dow Jones Indices defines the way people measure and trade the markets. We provide essential intelligence that helps investors identify and capitalize on global opportunities.
S&P Dow Jones Indices is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence.For more information, visit www.spdji.com
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related to such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or other legally protected categories, subject to applicable law.