S&P Global Ratings
This role sits within the business and is responsible for risk and controls of the EMEA Financial Services & Sovereign/IPF group. The function monitors the performance in producing quality ratings in a manner consistent with established policies and procedures and applicable regulations. The IBCO does not engage in rating activities and is responsible for working with Internal Control, Global Risk Management and Compliance to support the implementation of internal controls for the practice areas and perform regular monitoring and testing of analysts’ compliance with policies and procedures. This role reports to the Global Head of Financial Services & Sovereign/IPF In-Business Controls.
- Regional oversight for EMEA risk and controls for one of S&P Global Ratings largest practices.
- Analyzes and resolves moderately complex situations as they relate to Internal Control and Quality Assurance activities.
- Applies S&P internal controls and effectively communicates around S&P’s internal control framework, policies and procedures.
- Participates in (and leads as assigned) projects related to controls, quality and process improvement
- Identifies business unit risks and risk and control self-assessments by participating in certain business level activities, including attending Way We Work Tier 1 & 2 huddles and rating committees, and being integral to the standard work efforts of the business.
- Under general guidelines and a large degree of independence, has the ability to analyze unique, non-routine analytical or business problems in a timely and insightful manner but requires management oversight on most complicated issues/situations
- Supports the business implementation of policies, procedures and controls, including all aspects of the SEC/Dodd Frank regulations, and the implementation of processes to control risks.
- Ensure alignment of these policies and procedures with processes/controls within the practice
- Determine the need for escalation of any deficiencies.
The Career Opportunity
- Trains others and helps them resolve difficult day-to-day analytical issues and problems
- Ensures internal controls are updated as processes updated within each practice
- Undertakes on-going tracking and monitoring of controls
- Carries out risk-based periodic testing of key controls on a sample basis, considering emerging internal control issues.
- Monitors exceptions to the rating process to ensure compliance with all applicable policies and procedures and provide exception reporting to practice leads and head of control.
- Provides support in the development of management action plans (MAPs) that address regulatory, compliance and internal audit issues, and support development of controls that would address both their specific and thematic exam findings.
- Provides user training on policies, procedures, and controls
S&P Global Ratings is the world’s leading provider of independent credit ratings. Our ratings are essential to driving growth, providing transparency and helping educate market participants so they can make decisions with confidence. We have more than 1 million credit ratings outstanding on government, corporate, financial sector and structured finance entities and securities. We offer an independent view of the market built on a unique combination of broad perspective and local insight. We provide our opinions and research about relative credit risk; market participants gain independent information to help support the growth of transparent, liquid debt markets worldwide.
S&P Global Ratings is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spglobal.com/ratings
Candidates must relevant experience and knowledge of sound practices relating to building and implementing an effective system of internal controls as well as risk management experience. Candidates should also have the following skills:
- A demonstrated understanding of internal control principles, including what constitutes effective control design.
- Knowledgeable or interested in pragmatically developing risk management concepts.
- Background in risk control self-assessments helpful.
- Strong interpersonal skill with proven ability to build relationships and facilitate cross function risk/control solutions for the business
- The ability to analyze and provide a credible assessment of the effectiveness of the internal control structured.
- An understanding of systems and reporting needed to effectively monitor control activities.
- Knowledge of best practices in internal control testing approaches and documentation of results.
- The ability to identify internal control deficiencies and develop potential solutions where appropriate.
- The ability to work effectively across the organization to ensure that controls are effectively implemented and monitored.
- The ability to understand the nuances of complex processes and think clearly about solutions for competing priorities.
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to communicate at all levels of the organization.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or other legally protected categories, subject to applicable law.