The Role: Senior Reporter: Asia Pacific Banking
The Location: Hong Kong
The Team: The Asia Financial Institutions Group news team comprises roughly 20 reporters, editors and writers in Hong Kong, Singapore, India, Pakistan and Manila, covering the latest regional news not only about the banks, but also insurance companies and other financial services. The team is part of the larger Financial Institutions Group spanning the Americas and EMEA.
The Impact: The successful candidate will be based in Hong Kong and play a pivotal role in the development of our Chinese financial institutions news coverage. Responsible for delivering features read by a highly discerning, international business audience to daily and weekly deadlines, the Senior Reporter will draw on a range of sources, including our rich portfolio of proprietary sector data and news gleaned from conferences and other on-the-ground reporting. Reporting directly to the Hong Kong Bureau Chief, the Senior Reporter will also help set the news agenda across the entire financial institutions group, working with and mentoring reporters in Hong Kong as well as London, New York City and other newsroom locations.
What’s in it for you: The Asia-Pacific Financial Institutions Group offers opportunities for global collaboration, editorial leadership and advancement as a business journalist within S&P Global Market Intelligence and other S&P Global Inc. divisions -- S&P Global Ratings, S&P Dow Jones Indices and S&P Global Platts. In the spirit of continuous learning, the newsroom also offers extensive training and other development support, including a mentorship program.
- Provide our readership with timely, insightful articles to tight daily and weekly deadlines
- Providing coverage ranging from incorporate in-depth interviews, news from the conference beat to analytical insight showcasing our rich portfolio of market, regulatory and corporate data
- Shaping our daily English-language coverage and conveying story lines using the full range of our formats, from breaking news to feature-length reportage
- Exercising leadership skills and deep sector knowledge to coach and mentor other team members
What we’re looking for:
- Strong native level English fluency, both written and spoken. (Knowledge of at least one major Asian language is highly desirable, particularly Mandarin or Cantonese.)
- An ability to craft and structure stories in a newswire feature style to tight deadlines.
- Financial journalism experience. (Knowledge of the banking sector, particularly that of mainland China, is desirable.)
- People and management skills to help lead a fast-paced newsroom.