The Senior Index Manager is responsible for a wide range of equity-based indices. Significant assets are tied to the indices through clients index linked products such as ETF’s, Swaps and Derivatives. As a member of the US/Canada Index Management team, the Senior Index Manager must be able to perform index rebalances, analyze and implement complex corporate actions and solve non-routine problems on an on-going basis. The Senior Index Manager is responsible for all aspects of a group of indices. As part of that responsibility, the Senior Index Manager makes recommendations for index membership and presentation to Index Committees.
The Senior Index Manager also supports sales, marketing and client services by speaking and meeting with clients and index users. The Senior Index Manager maintains key relationships with clients in support of the indices. The Senior Index Manager is required to make presentations to Index Committees for all matters relevant to the indices and the needed actions of the Committees. The Senior Index Manager is also required to act as a backup to other index managers in the department, making knowledge of their product line essential.
The role requires expertise in System Design and User Acceptance Test (UAT) to test new functionality and developmental systems from both a market manager and an index manager’s perspective. The Senior Index Manager will work in close coordination with the technology group and production support group to further enhance system capabilities by building a state of the art data delivery platform.
55 Water Street
New York, NY 10004
The US/Canada Equities team is seeking a candidate to join as a Senior Index Manager. As part of the Operations group at S&P Dow Jones Indices, the US/Canada Equities team focuses on the rebalancing and ongoing maintenance of high profile benchmark, strategy, and thematic indices. These indices, such as the S&P 500, Dow Jones Industrial Average, and S&P/TSX 60, consist primarily of United States and Canadian listed equities.
- Preparing and calculating S&P branded indices. This includes performing analytical research on companies to determine the composition of the index, adjusting data in our calculation system, and adjusting the data to conform to the rules of the index.
- May serve on the index committee and make presentations of original, non-routine analysis to committee in support of the indices for which the index manager is responsible. Decisions reached by committee determine index composition and drive assets allocations.
- Must ensure timely and accurate delivery of real-time and end-of-day index data to clients and end users.
- Preparing and delivering announcements as they relate to index changes to clients and end users in advance of the implementation of the changes
- Quantitative analyses of index returns, weights, constituents, and fundamentals
- Updates index methodology on an as-needed basis in coordination with clients and other S&P staff and the index committee to ensure indices remain relevant and investible.
- Manages and maintain relationships with key members of other groups within S&P Index Services, across other S&P departments, particularly IT.
- Work with the technology group to further enhance our system capabilities by identifying deficiencies in our work flow and quality control processes
- Works with index development and technology to assure calculations are correct and timely.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and deadlines. The projects involve; requirements gathering, analytical thinking, compilation of data, and documentation.
- Must be able to clearly communicate to a variety of both internal and external clients.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and responsiveness to customer enquiries/
- Take a leading and subject matter expert role in coordination with the technology group and production support group to further enhance our system capabilities by identifying (and by working as part of a team to correct) deficiencies in our work flow and quality control processes.
- Participate in new product process – new product generation, working closely with the PMO.
- Must have the ability to train new and current employees on best-practices for index management.
What we’re looking for:
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent analytical and quantitative capabilities to solve original, non-routine problems in a timely and insightful manner
- Understanding of global financial markets
- Strong numerical skills
- Ability to assume responsibility, work with others, and manage projects
- Bachelor’s Degree. Advanced degree in business, math, economics, or finance strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of professional experience in index management or similar role.
- Understanding of equity markets.
- Must be able to work independently on multiple projects with minimal direction or supervision.
- Superior computer skills in Excel, Word and related applications.
- Ability to learn S&P’s proprietary index calculation engines.
- Ability to learn new data and calculation platforms in a limited time.
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to coordinate work done by multiple people and / or groups. Proficiency in Microsoft Office required.
- Index and/or portfolio management experience
- Strong understanding of corporate actions including mergers, spin-offs, dividends, etc.
- Experience dealing with customers in a time-sensitive demanding environment where interpretation of data has both objective and subjective components requiring persuasion and influencing skills.
- Experience with data vendors including Capital IQ, Factset, and Thomson Reuters.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as VBA, SQL, or Matlab is considered an asset, but is not required.
About S&P Dow Jones Indices
At S&P Dow Jones Indices, our role can be described in one word: essential. We’re the largest global resource for index-based concepts, data and research, and home to iconic financial market indicators, such as the S&P 500® and the Dow Jones Industrial Average®. More assets are invested in products based upon our indices than any other index provider in the world; with over 1,000,000 indices, S&P Dow Jones Indices defines the way people measure and trade the markets. We provide essential intelligence that helps investors identify and capitalize on global opportunities.
S&P Dow Jones Indices is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence.For more information, visit www.spdji.com
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related to such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.