S&P Global Platts
The Role: S&P Global Platts is seeking an Energy Analyst for its European Gas and Power analytics team. This exciting entry level position has the daily responsibility of analyzing commodity data and creation of relevant market content. The analyst will be responsible for supporting and working with the Analytics team in the creation of actionable intelligence for our clients to make informed trading/risk management and investment decisions.
The Impact: The analyst will collect economic, fundamental and financial information specific to a commodity market or organization, will conduct market sector or statistical analysis and will interpret key market data elements into useful business information. They will look to leverage their educational knowledge when performing analysis on data sets that will require knowledge of Excel and, if not already possessed, learning basic SQL. Analysis will be articulated through written and presentation formats.
The Career Opportunity: This person would be placed on a challenging, steep learning curve in terms of not only becoming a subject matter expert in natural gas and power, but also in competing/complementary markets, such as shipping, coal, oil and renewables. This position provides numerous opportunities to showcase this person's presentation abilities and thought leadership that could lead to continued growth within the organization and S&P Global’s companies.
The Team / The Business: You would be part of a European and Global team. Fast paced, with ever expanding new ways of delivering important content and analytics to our clients.
Your Skills / Experience / Interests: Natural Gas, LNG, Crude Oil, Shipping, Power, Coal and/or Renewables, Engineering, Financial and/or statistical modeling, strong knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Our Hiring Manager says: I'm looking for someone who is naturally curious about energy markets. If you're right for this role, you'll be an inquisitive, conscientious, self-motivated, effective problem solver and communicator. You'll love this job because you'll be in a dynamic environment where market-moving changes occur every day, surrounded by high-energy individuals who are enthusiastic about covering markets, spotting key trends and reporting those trends to our customers.
• Collects economic and financial information specific to a commodity market or organization assigned, conducts market sector or statistical analysis and interprets key market data elements into useful business information.
• Leverages broad scope of knowledge when performing analysis on data sets.
• Performs high level analysis and modeling. May develop quantitative/analytic/statistical models.
• Conducts research including identifying data, data input, and perform statistical analysis of results and create and maintain databases, forecasting models and market reports.
• Prepares presentations and engages directly with clients to present analysis.
• Responds to client requests/inquiries for data and analysis.
• Minimum BA/BS in Mathematics, the Sciences, Economics, Finance, Engineering, Business, and/or related field of study preferred. Equivalent experience within their discipline also considered.
• 0-4 years' of experience in natural gas/oil/LNG/power/energy industry
• A high degree of proficiency in Excel as well as applied knowledge of programming languages like VBA and Python, would be desirable
• Technical skills and the ability to use structured queries to interact with databases, e.g. SQL, would be desirable
• Persistent with a natural curiosity about energy market fundamentals and technical details. Good grasp of energy market dynamics.
• Displays well-rounded communication skills that implement good listening techniques, clear, concise writing style and good verbal skills. The ability to communicate across a wide range of groups and personalities internally and externally.
• Works well in a team environment, focusing on collaboration and adapting to the needs of a diverse team. May have subject matter expertise in one market
• Displays good numeracy including ability to conceptualize proportional relationships; understand the basic principles of algebra and statistics; as well as a basic understanding of how to apply basic maths functions in Excel. A basic understanding of economics principles is also desired.
• Adept at managing multiple tasks and adhering to regular deadlines. Able to adjust priorities throughout the day.
About Eclipse Energy/Platts and S&P Global
Eclipse Energy Group is the leading energy analysis and forecasting company for European gas and power markets covering day ahead to 2040. Our customers cover at least 80% of the market including most major banks, producers and utilities across North-West Europe.
Eclipse was acquired by Platts in July 2014 and provides the following services:
• Price forecasts and scenarios
• Analysis and market commentary
• Analytics and fundamental market data
• Advisory services
Platts is a premier source of benchmark price assessments and commodities intelligence. At Platts, the content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the energy, petrochemicals, metals and agricultural markets.
Learn more at https://www.platts.com/
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or other legally protected categories, subject to applicable law.