S&P Global Platts
The Role: The senior editor will be part of an international team of experienced reporters covering Asian steel markets. The job includes gathering primary market intelligence directly from industry sources, and producing news articles and in-depth analysis stories. Besides doing some price reporting, you will be expected to connect the dots on key themes affecting the sector, and to produce timely, high-quality news. The role also involves seeking out opportunities for cross-commodity coverage, with the steel raw materials and non-ferrous metals teams, but also with other commodity sectors.
The Impact: This is a key thought leadership role, with Platts continuing to cement its role as the global leader in steel news and pricing.
The Career Opportunity: This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced steel reporter to step up to the next level, in a role involving greater visibility and responsibility, as well as exposure to the big topics hitting the mainstream media.
The Team / The Business: You’ll be expected to work closely with a team of experienced reporters with deep sector knowledge, spread across offices in China, Japan and Australia.
Your Skills: A natural team worker with excellent written and verbal communication skills, you have a proven journalistic track record and a strong news sense. You should also have exceptional energy, tenacity and ambition to excel in a fast-paced environment.
Our Hiring Manager says: This role will be responsible for delivering key insights and producing market-moving news articles. It is a great chance to prove that you can use your network of contacts to deliver the highest-quality content.
- Produce daily insightful news articles covering the Asian steel industry, in a timely manner. Areas of coverage include the macro-economic situation, derivative markets and downstream industries.
- Gather commodity price information, produce price assessments/indexes and write commentary
- Regularly engage market participants, helping identify key trends in the market, and showcase Platts’ expertise
- Produce analysis of developments affecting prices across the steel supply chain – from raw materials to steel products
- Develop, expand and maintain sources and contacts relevant to the market area of coverage
- Public speaking at Platts or third-party industry events, and in front of mainstream media
- Daily team work and coordination with colleagues and a wide range of internal stakeholders
- At least three years covering the steel sector
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree or similar level university degree
- Excellent English writing skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Proficiency in spoken Mandarin and ability to read and write Mandarin are a plus
- Good organizational planning skills; able to work collaboratively in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment
- Must be comfortable with Microsoft excel and large data sets
- Adept at managing multiple tasks and adhering to regular deadlines. Able to prioritize quickly and to readjust priorities throughout the day.
- Self-driven, energetic and proactive
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, global, multi-cultural environment
S&P Global Platts
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with confidence. We’re the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.platts.com.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or other legally protected categories, subject to applicable law.