S&P Global Market Intelligence
The Role: Data Wrangler & Scientist
The Location: Charlottesville, VA or New York, NY
The Team: The Product Research and Innovation team gathers intelligence from across the financial services market, including new technologies and new approaches to new regulations, to help define how they have the potential to impact businesses within the sector. We then define product opportunities and build partnerships with internal teams and third parties to develop new products that deliver new innovations. We succeed through leveraging unique research, big data, and machine learning techniques, and quantifying non-traditional data sources and risk analysis in bespoke models that help businesses manage their approach. This team works toward implementing ideas at the junction of Risk, Fintech and Regulations.
The Impact: With the ever-expanding data sets and techniques to handle data, in this role you will use cutting edge techniques in domain languages to handle both traditional and alternative data sets and apply them into credit modelling.
What’s in it for you: We are a Fortune 500 company and recognized industry-leading provider of data and analytics: as such, we provide an unusually rich environment for data scientists to make an impact and grow personally and professionally. In addition to applying data science, you will have an opportunity to connect with leaders across S&P Global, our clients and partners; define new product opportunities; and be part of a lean, active, and professional team.
- Design, execute and deploy projects aimed at solving high-impact business problems.
- Play a central role in all stages of the data science project life cycle, including:
- Identification of suitable data science project opportunities
- Partnering with business leaders, domain experts, and end-users to gain business understanding, data understanding, and collect requirements
- Data preparation
- Data analysis/modeling
- Evaluation/interpretation of results and presentation to business leaders
- Partnering with software developers to provide specifications for deploying models/algorithms into production systems, when applicable
- Prepare the exploratory data analyses, proof-of-concept modeling, and business cases necessary to generate partner consensus and internal support for your projects
- Dedicatedly communicate the vision and status of your data science projects, ensuring that accurate expectations are set and met across all levels of partners
What We’re Looking For:
Demonstrated experience with the following, either through professional or academic experience:
- Data preparation
- De-normalizing data sets, imputing, smoothing, cross linking
- Hands on experience with implementing statistical models
- Bayesian statistics, multivariate regression, principal component analysis, robust statistics…
- Hands on experience with implementing Machine Learning techniques in a specific business application context.
- Understanding of the business objectives and what can and cannot be achieved using the different algorithms, for example: decision trees, random forest, AutoML, natural language processing etc.
- Graduate Degree in Math, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or related field; or equivalent experience
- 3-5+ yrs experience in a Data Science or other advanced data analytics role
- Shown success in using large amounts of data to solve analytical problems
- Strong English-speaking and writing skills required
- Familiarity with data analysis scripting languages, such as Python or R (Python preferred)
- Knowledge of advanced statistical data analysis and modeling
- Experience with data mining, machine learning, natural language processing, and data visualization
- Working knowledge of traditional data storage, relational databases, SQL, and ETL tools
- Exposure to technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, NoSQL data stores
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of business, operational and technical partners
- Ability to communicate complex mathematical models and processes in straightforward, non-technical language
About S&P Global Market Intelligence
At S&P Global Market Intelligence, we know that not all information is
important—some of it is vital. Accurate, deep and insightful. We integrate financial and industry data, research and news into tools that help track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, understand competitive and industry dynamics, perform valuation and assess credit risk. Investment professionals, government agencies, corporations and universities globally can gain the intelligence essential to making business and financial decisions with conviction.
S&P Global Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit, S&P Global Market Intelligence
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related to such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.