S&P Global Platts Analytics Intern
New York, NY (2 Pennsylvania Plaza, New York, NY)
You are part of a global team. Fast paced, with ever expanding new ways of delivering important content and analytics to our readers.
The intern will collect economic and financial information specific to a commodity market or organization, will conduct market sector or statistical analysis and will interpret key market data elements into useful business information. They will look to leverage their broad scope of knowledge when performing analysis on data sets that may require scripts, codes, languages, etc. The intern is expected to perform high level analytic work and modeling.
What’s in it for you:
Platts Analytics’ summer internship program provides an invaluable work-learning experience, where interns are given high levels of responsibility by working both independently and in close connection with senior analysts. There are ample opportunities to create, model, write — contribute in every way that a full-time analyst does.
Areas of work include:
- Upstream (E&P) oil and gas analysis
- Refining economics
- International commodities trade
- Forecasting and modeling
- Shipping, pipelines, storage and other infrastructure assessments
- Research on renewables, alternative energy and new technologies
- Sales and marketing
- Conduct research, analysis, and/or modeling as required for Intern Project
- Complete final Intern Project Presentation
- Assist on research, publications, presentations, and special projects
- Permanent work authorization for the United States is required
- Ideal candidate will have an undergraduate or graduate degree completed by spring 2020.
- Preferred majors in economics, statistics, political science/international affairs, engineering, geology, or a similar field with exposure to quantitative analysis and forecasting preferred.
- Expert in Microsoft Excel. At ease managing and creating Excel models and using features such as pivot tables, matrix formulas and other advanced Excel functionality.
- Familiarity with Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Experience and familiarity with the oil industry and markets preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of VBA for Excel, Microsoft Access, SQL, and advanced quantitative tools (such as R) are a plus, but not required.
- Successful candidates will possess a strong entrepreneurial spirit, are highly self-directed and motivated, and work well under tight deadlines.