The Role: The associate editor will join the petrochemicals team in Asia and support the daily price assessment process. The job includes gathering pricing information and market intelligence, and forming that information into price assessments and published market commentaries, news updates and in-depth analysis stories. You will also be in a thought leadership position at Platts, helping develop benchmarks and new price assessments, through activities including presentations, webinars, and podcasts.
The Impact: The role is a key as Platts has established itself in Asian petrochemicals, with benchmarks in some products. It’s also used as reference prices in many other markets.
The Career Opportunity: To become a market expert, the go-to person in the industry, and to expand your knowledge of the Asian petrochemicals industry by interacting daily with regional producers, consumers, traders and analysts etc., in turn sharpening your verbal and written communication skills.
The Team / The Business: You’ll work with the Singapore-based petrochemicals market reporting team.
Your Skills: Proven analytical ability, comfortable handing numbers, exceptional energy, tenacity, and ambition to excel in a fast-paced newsroom. Good written and verbal communication skills, analysis, and presentation skills.
- Assess daily petrochemical prices
- Gather commodity price information, meet compliance standards, produce price assessments, write commentaries, stories, analyses.
- Assess the value of prices fully in line with Platts’ rigorous and published methodologies
- Write news stories on markets covered
- Maintain high quality, timely and real-time feed of news and pricing
- Work closely with news desk, managers and others to identify news stories on market issues
- Develop, expand and maintain sources/contacts relevant to the market area of coverage
- Able to effectively manage and develop price reporting coverage in the region
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree or similar level university degree
- Excellent English writing skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Due to the need to cover China’s market, must be proficient in spoken Mandarin; ability to read and write Mandarin a plus
- Good organizational planning skills; able to work collaboratively in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment
- Must be comfortable with Microsoft excel and huge data sets
- Adept at managing multiple tasks and adhering to regular deadlines. Able to prioritize quickly and to readjust priorities throughout the day.
- Self-driven, energetic and proactive
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, global, multi-cultural environment
About S&P Global and Platts
At Platts, the premier source of commodities intelligence, the content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the energy, petrochemicals, metals and agricultural markets.
- Our real-time news, pricing, analytical services and conferences help markets operate with transparency and efficiency.
- Be part of a globally diverse workforce with 20 offices spanning five continents.
- Get the best of both worlds: a nimble, highly specialized company, and a business casual culture with the benefits and backing S&P Global.
S&P Global includes S&P Global Market Intelligence, S&P Global Ratings, S&P Dow Jones Indices and S&P Global Platts. Together, we’re the foremost providers of essential intelligence for the capital and commodities markets.