The Role: Our Houston-based team covers petrochemical markets for the Americas, with an emphasis on Latin America markets.The associate editor will be responsible for price assessments, market reporting, news and analysis of petrochemical markets, working alongside other market reporters in Houston.
The Impact: You are responsible for producing the price assessments and publishing market intelligence, news and analysis we sell for the business. What you produce determines the impact it can have on our business. You are considered an SME in the industry. The successful candidate will help S&P Global Platts enhance and expand its strong reputation in the markets we cover.
The Team: You are also part of a global team of editors, and will be expected to work with counterparts in London and Singapore to provide prospective about how the regions/areas you cover are impacting the dynamic for markets around the world.
What’s in it for you:
• Build a career with a global company
• Grow into the role of subject matter expert for a given commodity
• Opportunities to travel domestically and internationally to learn about, cover and present on petrochemical markets
• The chance to be an important and influential member of a team covering an industry undergoing unprecedented growth and investment
• Assess daily and weekly petrochemical prices for import/export and domestic markets
• Gather commodity price information, meet compliance standards, produce price assessments, and write commentaries, stories, analyses.
• Assess the value of prices fully in line with S&P Global Platts’ rigorous published methodologies
• Write news stories on markets covered
• Maintain high quality, timely and real-time feed of news and pricing
• Work closely with news desk, managers and others to identify news stories on market issues
• Develop, expand and maintain sources/contacts relevant to the area of coverage
• Effectively manage and develop price reporting coverage in the region
What We’re Looking For:
Our Hiring Manager says: "I’m looking for a person who is driven to accomplish goals -- both professionally and personally – who can build and strengthen relationships between S&P Global Platts and the industry in Latin America. If you’re right for this role, you will strive to be the first and most accurate source of news and pricing information for the region. I need a person who is motivated and strives to achieve the goals of the team. You'll love this job because you will be part of a cohesive and dynamic team which works with counterparts across the world to cover petrochemical markets from both a local and global perspective."
• BA or BS degree in journalism, business or sciences preferred with experience reporting/writing/analytical experience; or a graduate degree in journalism, business, economics or finance; with one year of reporting/writing/analytical work experience.
• Displays well-rounded communication skills that implement good listening techniques, clear, concise writing style; and good verbal skills
• Works well in a team environment, focusing on collaboration and adapting to the needs of a diverse team. Ability to develop into subject matter expert.
• Displays good numeracy including ability to conceptualize proportional relationships and understand the basic principles of algebra and statistics. A basic understanding of economics principles is also required.
• Adept at managing multiple tasks and adhering to regular deadlines. Able to readjust priorities throughout the day.
• Displays good problem-solving and critical thinking capabilities
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel; Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) and basic keyboarding skills (both speed and accuracy)
• Experience working with or covering petrochemical and/or energy markets
• Language skills, particularly Portuguese (desired) and/or Spanish
• Three years of reporting/writing/analytical work experience
• Proven analytical ability, knowledge of market intelligence gathering
• Exceptional energy, tenacity, and ambition to excel in a fast-paced newsroom environment.