The Role: Research Assistant, U.S. CMBS
The Location: Centennial, CO
The U.S CMBS team is part of the broader Structured Finance Group at S&P Global Ratings. The team assigns ratings and publishes research commentaries for the use of Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities investors.
The Research Assistant will compile data and credit metrics to derive credit enhancement levels and ratings on commercial mortgage backed securities (CMBS) transactions collateralized by commercial real estate loans. After having obtained the appropriate S&P Global Ratings certifications, he/she will prepare material for modeling transactions which primary analysts will utilize to communicate S&P Global Ratings’ methodologies and ratings to clients. The candidate should have a strong background in cash flow modeling and credit analysis of structured finance securities including CMBS and/or other transaction types.
What’s in it for you:
- Increased awareness of commercial real estate markets and structured finance sector.
- An opportunity to increase analytical, communication, and presentation skills while supporting the rating process.
- Expand Excel skills, time management capabilities, and attention to detail.
- Work in conjunction with, and at the direction of, senior analysts in preparing necessary information for model result presentations.
- Provide support for Centennial Commercial Credit team on using S&P Global Ratings’ proprietary CMBS credit model and populating CMBS cash flow models.
- Work with CMBS analytic software and data vendors (Trepp, INTEX, CBRE, CoStar)
- Generating and inputting appropriate financial and economic data from/to databases, retrieving source documents, and working with surveillance tracking tools.
- Assist and validate research and publishing efforts, criteria development and performance analysis.
- On occasion travel to proximal locations to inspect and evaluate properties of interest.
- Assisting in the collection and analysis of data on special projects;
What We’re Looking For:
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in finance or economics.
- Recent graduates or those with 1+ years of relevant work experience in loan servicing, operations, finance, research, accounting, mortgage lending, or commercial or consumer credit
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with financial models and financial data
- Strong analytical, written and verbal communication, presentation, problem solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Basic proficiency in MS Office products (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.) is essential. Advanced Excel and Access / Oracle database skills are preferred.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize competing tasks, meet deadlines, and maintain accuracy of data.