The Team: The Global Oil Analytics team performs detailed, bottoms-up analysis of the supply, demand and price dynamics of the global oil markets and delivers valuable insights to customers. The team works closely with the Analytics teams across commodities to provide an integrated view of global energy markets. Understanding how the drivers of demand are changing and how the market will respond to market tensions is one of the capabilities that sets S&P Global Platts apart from our competitors.
The Impact: The Head of Demand for the Oil Analytics team will be responsible for all analysis related to short and long term trends in global demand for petroleum products. They will need to develop advancing models to forecast monthly demand across the products mix taking into account regional price, weather and macroeconomic factors.
Working with our scenarios team they will also contribute to the development of longer term trends based on economic, regulatory and technology factors. More sophisticated and granular understanding of the demand side of the market will continue to differentiate Platts Analytics and increase the value to our customers. However, it is also important to be able to understand the relationship with other commodities to understand how production and price impact demand or differentials with Biofuels, Gas and Coal drive substitution and in particular the balancing of feedstocks to Chemicals.
Ultimately the Head of Demand and their team will be responsible for providing the call on refining (total demand less non-refinery supply such as NGLs, Biofuels etc) and thus demand for crude. As such this team will also be responsible for the World Refinery Database as it will need to understand refinery availability and utilization to understand how product prices may influence demand for specific yields of the barrel and thus understand refinery complexity and volume gain.
Creating one integrated Platts view of energy demand helps our customers to make decisions with conviction.
What’s in it for you:
- You will be a key member of the Platts Analytics Leadership Team
- You will run a global team of 35 analysts
- You will represent the S&P Global Platts Analytics view on oil demand to customers, other market participants such as governments and the media working closely with our news teams.
- You will be expected to present at external conferences to promote our analsysis and build the Platts Analytics brand
- You will be responsible to this integral piece of work with the objective of growing the business and revenue from Analytics.
- Oversee the oil demand modeling process, managing a team responsible for producing oil demand forecasts for all deliverables in the Global Oil Service short-term forecasts as well as support of the Scenario Planning Service long-term forecasts
- Proactively drive improvements in oil demand modeling capabilities in particular building dynamic models which are customers can tailor to their own outlooks and that can respond to short term indicators such as weather.
- Coordinate interaction of oil, gas and chemicals in optimizing total energy demand
- Produce Biofuels outlook as share of supply to meet demand call.
- Integrate the non-refinery supply view into the balance around call on refining.
- Oversee maintenance of the PIRA World Refinery Database, producing accurate, timely capacity, outage and run data for every refinery in the world and enhance it to better predict likely unplanned events and their impact on margin and product supply
- Work closely with Chemicals team to align the optimization of feedstocks based on price and demand drivers.
- Collaborate with other teams in the oil group to maintain a strong link between oil demand, supply and refinery runs.
- Write commentary and analysis on oil demand-related topics for regular delivers and special reports.
- Present analysis to customers and at events.
- Interact with customers to answer questions and deliver outlooks.
What We’re Looking For:
- Minimum 15 years of relevant work experience (energy industry, consulting, investment banking, equity research or equivalent professional experience).
- MA/MS or PHD desired preferably in economics, statistics, engineering, operations research or a similar field with exposure to applied quantitative analysis and forecasting.
- Experience and familiarity with the oil industry and oil markets required. Knowledge of oil demand drivers preferred.
- Fluency in statistical and economic modeling techniques required.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Knowledge of advanced quantitative tools and programming languages are preferred.
- Successful candidates will possess a strong entrepreneurial spirit, are highly self-directed and motivated, and work well under tight deadlines.
About Company (Global) & EEO Statements (NA Only): Auto-populated by our ATS. Do Not Manually add this language to your job posting.
About S&P Global Platts
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with conviction. We’re the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence.For more information, visit www.platts.com
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related to such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.