The role: Platts seeks a writer to cover Atlantic LNG and South West Europe Gas & Power in mainly Spain and Italy. A subject-matter expert in either LNG, or gas, the successful candidate will produce news, analysis and other content making use of in-house markets and analytics resources. The position will also require actively engaging with industry sources and market participants to generate insightful and timely content across multiple platforms.
The impact: The successful candidate will produce original, concise, market relevant news and analysis to feed the highly regarded European Gas Daily, LNG Daily, European Power Daily and other Platts products. Other responsibilities will include generating content ideas and contributing to information products, events and digital media.
The career opportunity: Build cross-commodity subject matter expertise in areas like LNG project development in the Atlantic basin, LNG deals and European import and demand dynamics. There will also be development opportunities associated with joining a news team made up by senior writers with specific subject matter expertise in gas, power, LNG and carbon markets. The role will also provide opportunities to build and enhanced excellent industry specific source networks.
The team/business: Platts is a leader in energy market information, pricing, and analysis. The news team plays a central role in the business by producing insightful content from a mixture of data, in-depth sources and market intelligence.
- Proven writing and editing skills. The successful candidate will be required to produce clearly written news and analysis in a relatively short period of time for both print and digital media.
- Understanding of global LNG or European Gas markets is essential, with knowledge of the power sector a bonus.
- The ability to keep up to date with evolving energy market conditions and competitive landscape.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- The ability to deal with data, create charts, tables and conceptualize maps.
- The role requires a highly motivated individual with great interpersonal skills and a willingness to engage internally on a daily basis with colleagues across multiple teams.
- Excellent network building skills with industry, market and government sources. Ability to create and maintain a portfolio of industry contacts.
Our hiring manager says: I'm looking for an expert writer who is also experienced in LNG and energy markets. The successful candidate will be passionate about their subject matter and able to write accurately and quickly to deadline.
- Create in-depth, data rich news and analysis focusing on Atlantic LNG and South West Europe Gas & Power markets.
- Research supporting data analysis and graphics.
- Generate content ideas and contribute to news development across the wider team.
- Edit and update content from internal Platts sources and stringers.
- Interact with the Platts markets and analytics teams to produce richer content.
- Liaise with production team to create graphics and multi-media content.
- Cultivate deep industry sources across LNG and power markets.
- Help to promote Platts content beyond our customers. This may involve presenting and attending conferences. In addition the successful candidate may be expected to appear on broadcast media as an expert contributor.
- Bachelor degree required.
- Extensive writing experience covering commodity or energy markets, preferably LNG or gas.
- Analytical skills with proficiency in Excel.
- A second European language would be an advantage.