The Role: S&P Global Market Intelligence, a premier sector-focused news and information provider, is looking for a Mining Research Analyst to join our Mine Economics team of analysts. In this dynamic role you will be responsible for gathering information and metrics on mining properties relating to operating parameters, costs and revenue, and using this data to produce detailed discount cash flow models and publish research on the cost of production.
The Location: Canary Wharf, London, United Kingdom
The Team: The Metals and Mining Research team at S&P Global Market Intelligence provides in-depth expert insight into the metals and mining sector. From industry leading studies of worldwide exploration, development, production and costs, to commodity price forecasting and analysis of the real drivers of markets - this group delivers reliable, unbiased research and analysis drawn directly from extensive industry contacts, global news and other information sources. Our high-quality products and services help clients identify, benchmark and value new business opportunities, monitor competitors and market trends, and act on strategies more confidently and efficiently.
The Impact: S&P Global Market Intelligence has a solid reputation as a premier sector-focused news and information provider. Our clients include a cross section of the broader Metals, Minerals and Mining sector from mining companies, traders, vendors, consultants, regulators/governments and all those that operate within the financial and commodities markets such as Investment Banks, Investment Managers, Hedge Funds, Brokers, etc. We are a multinational organization that has built a robust franchise on data collection and standardization, layering on proprietary news and research, employing analysts, economists, engineers and geologists that are well regarded within the sector.
What’s in it for you: In this role you will be part of a highly motivated and growing global group of analysts expanding our footprint in the commodity space. Situated within the wider team, you will gain exposure to research and analysis on the entire mining value chain, from exploration to market, while becoming an authority on the industry cost of production. Working on multiple commodities and with a global remit, this role is a great platform for you to both grow and broaden your value professionally.
Responsibilities: Including but not limited to:
- Collating and synthesizing information on mining properties from all forms of disclosure. Benchmarking and using estimates where appropriate
- Discount cash flow modelling of a portfolio of global mining properties across multiple major commodities, including input costs, production metrics and mining costs
- Participation in business development activities and external representation as required, such as at conferences or client roadshows
- Production of written research and thought leadership pieces on the cost of production and the wider mining industry
- Communication on and defense of your work to clients
- Some business travel as required
What We’re Looking For: "I'm looking for a candidate who is curious, logical and willing to find answers to the questions our clients are asking. If you excel at drawing insights out of data, are able to work with a high degree of attention to detail and want to make a visible impact in your work, then I'd like to hear from you."
- 2+ years' experience in a mining analyst or mining industry role
- Degree in a relevant discipline (geology, mining - including mining finance or engineering disciplines - economics or business)
- Advanced MS Excel Skills
- Solid numeric analytical and problem solving capabilities
The following would be advantageous but not required:
- Previous experience in a mine cost role
- Experience with VBA and/or SQL programming language
S&P Global Market Intelligence
At S&P Global Market Intelligence, we know that not all information is important—some of it is vital. Accurate, deep and insightful. We integrate financial and industry data, research and news into tools that help track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, understand competitive and industry dynamics, perform valuation and assess credit risk. Investment professionals, government agencies, corporations and universities globally can gain the intelligence essential to making business and financial decisions with conviction.
S&P Global Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence.