We are looking for a highly skilled German-speaking individual with the relevant analytical expertise to join our Corporate Ratings group as an Associate Credit Ratings Analyst within the EMEA Utilities team based in Frankfurt. The right candidate will have about three to five years of experience of conducting credit or financial analysis, sufficiently robust accounting knowledge and a good basic skillset to handle client relationships in the future. Familiarity with analysis of utilities or secondarily energy or infrastructure, is a plus.
- Flexibility and adaptability to rapidly pick up credit surveillance on a rating portfolio of credits.
- Ramp up over 3-6 months to be fully familiar with our corporate criteria and rating analysis
- Perform credit analysis by demonstrating the ability to understand and identify key factors that affect an issuer's credit rating. Develop and maintain an understanding of industry trends and issues.
- Present findings and well-underbuilt analytical opinions to a credit rating committee, supporting by strong modelling skills.
- Take on responsibility for a portfolio of 10 rising to 15 utility credits, spread out across Europe ranging from Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria but also Eastern or Southern Europe.
- Communicate and interact well with senior management at companies; act as primary or back-up analyst for German speaking meetings (hence fluency in German is required)
- Prepare a variety of material suitable for publication on S&P credit portal and other media (such as rating reports, press releases, and detailed commentaries) sufficient to disseminate and explain our ratings on a timely basis.
The individual will be able to demonstrate analytical excellence and to timely transition ratings, as well as to communicate clearly and present professionally when interacting with issuers and investors. Moreover, you must maintain and enhance the quality and timeliness of our analysis, and be required to prepare and perform meetings with multi-national, senior management teams to extract and assess information relating to credit quality and to explain our credit rating opinions. Strong presentation and organizational skills are also required to present detailed information and reasoned and concise opinions to our credit rating committees.
The Team / The Business:
The SP Global EMEA Utility team consists of over 15 analysts spread out over offices such as London, Paris, Frankfurt, Milan, Stockholm, Moscow, Dubai, and Johannesburg. While the candidate will benefit from one Frankfurt based Utilities colleague, and oversight from Directors in other locations, he/she needs to be able to work independently in an environment, which stimulates continuous improvement and the highest customer service standards, whilst adhering to established ratings criteria, methodology, policies and procedures.
Solid, demonstrable experience with a large commercial bank, investment bank, investing institution or an audit company, or other rating or credit institutions, working in the field of credit analysis of multinational corporations.
- Strong analytical skills with a deep understanding of financial statements and accounting concepts.
- Experience of analyzing issue level documentation or ability to ramp up related skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English and German. Fluency in other European languages could be an advantage.
- Degree educated in a relevant business related field, with a relevant Master’s degree, CFA or financial qualification seen as a comparative strength.
- Willingness to travel, sometimes at short notice.
- Experience of analyzing corporates in the utilities and regulated sectors would be an advantage.
- Positive mindset in working in a regulated environment, in dealing with complex systems and focus on procedures.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Strong team spirit.