The Role: As an attorney for S&P Global Market Intelligence legal department, this person is responsible for providing legal oversight, counsel and processes to help SPGMI manage and maintain its agreements. This position requires a lawyer with knowledge of SPGMI’s businesses and the ability to understand complex commercial arrangements and issues and ensure that SPGMI’s intellectual property and general practices are protected and liability and exposure is mitigated.
The Location: Charlottesville, Virginia
- Responsible for legal oversight and advice on agreements and other matters impacting the SPGMI products and services.
- Draft and negotiate a variety of agreements, including but not limited to, complex strategic agreements, customer agreements for SPGMI products and services and data vendor agreements.
- Utilize legal knowledge and skills to manage and mitigate the risk of disputes and breach by the company. Provide legal support for resolution of day to day matters relating to agreements and intellectual property matters, including resolution of disputes.
- Develop, maintain, and update boilerplate/standard forms (regulated, advisory, and software products) as needed and in response to changing markets and industry trends and practices.
- Responsible for enforcement of and training on appropriate policies and procedures.
- Involvement in variety of projects, including due diligence activities related to acquisitions and divestitures, archiving, and other projects as needed.
- Retain and manage outside counsel on specific legal matters as needed
- Requests for proposal and related assistance to the business
- Provide guidance with respect to and ensure compliance with applicable S&P Global policies, including policies regarding licensing and branding.
- Law degree and over 9+ years of experience. Commercially aware lawyer with the ability to assist the business in assessing risk.
- Strong working knowledge of contract, intellectual property law and an understanding of the laws of the jurisdictions where SPGMI does business. This includes protection of copyright and other proprietary rights, warranties, indemnification, disclaimer of liability and information reuse provisions
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; ability to think outside of the box. General understanding of financial products and services.
- Ability to stay current with the rapidly evolving industry trend and practices, as they relate to the the financial industry, intellectual property, technology, etc.
At S&P Global Market Intelligence, we know that not all information is important—some of it is vital. Accurate, deep and insightful. We integrate financial and industry data, research and news into tools that help track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, understand competitive and industry dynamics, perform valuation and assess credit risk. Investment professionals, government agencies, corporations and universities globally can gain the intelligence essential to making business and financial decisions with conviction.
S&P Global Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit, S&P Global Market Intelligence
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions on the basis of merit, capability and equality of opportunity, and without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law, or any other characteristic that has no bearing on a person’s ability to perform his or her job.