S&P Global Platts
Platts Ocean Intelligence is one of the world’s premiere marine credit agencies with analyst teams in London, Singapore, Houston and New York. We are now looking for an Analyst for our Singapore office, reporting to the Managing Analyst of our Singapore team.
Analysts research, assess and write time-sensitive marine credit reports on the commercial operations, financial standing and creditworthiness of shipping and trading companies, mostly but not exclusively located in the Asian Far East and Sub-Continent.
The Analyst is one of several research analysts on the Singapore desk investigating, analyzing and writing time-sensitive narrative credit assessment reports on shipping and trading companies on behalf of a clientele ranging from small marine fuel traders to Fortune 50 oil majors and commodity houses. Reports contain information on history, ownership, management, commercial operations, market context, analysis of financial health, competitive intelligence, insightful analysis of findings and a credit assessment of target.
Companies profiled are generally privately-owned and not inclined to provide financial information. Market knowledge, intellectual curiosity, flexibility and the development of an industry network is important for assembling these reports.
The role will work closely with other analysts on the Singapore desk.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Write insightful, detailed, accurate, time-sensitive narrative credit assessment reports as needed. This includes: gathering a variety of commercial and legal information on target companies for many sources both public and private; interviewing sources at companies and their creditors, drawing conclusions, deciding on a credit score, all to be compiled into the report.
- Respond to client requests/inquiries for data and analysis.
- Represent Platts Ocean Intelligence at public forums.
- Write articles for the Platts Barrel Blog, and eventually speak/present at public forums.
Mandatory Skills & Qualifications
- BA/BS; second degree in shipping or financial related subject would be of interest, several years of analytical work of the type described is very important.
- An understanding or ability to understand the structure of the maritime industry, marine fuel markets and a strong familiarity with the types of companies involved
- Experience in marine credit analysis or bunker credit management is highly desired.
- Strong ability and desire to learn and absorb information quickly.
- Strong research skills and the ability to think laterally.
- Mandatory: Clear, concise English writing style, strong copy editing skills, the ability to write reports clearly and to deadline.
- Mandatory: A curious and inquisitive nature. A desire to understand how business works and what is really going on in any given situations
- Mandatory: Knowledge of income statements, balance sheets and cashflow analysis and a general comfort with numbers.
- Mandatory: Ability to interview people over the phone.
- Mandatory: strong verbal communication skills. The ability to communicate fluently and eloquently in English (written and verbal). Other languages a big plus (Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Japanese or any south Asian language would be helpful due to market coverage)
- Ability to develop and maintain a wide circle of market contacts
- A commercial mindset.
- A friendly, cooperative and helpful team player.