You ensure the timely and accurate creation of Platts data visualizations, infographics and maps. You will collaborate with content editors to create compelling ways of presenting Platts wealth of data. You will be required to work on several projects per day. Time management and a sense of urgency are just as critical as a keen eye for design, data and software skills.
This is a key function in Platts’ newsletter business forming part of the Content Operations Group. You participate directly in visual story telling published through Platts’ variety of delivery channels and periodical publications.
The Career Opportunity:
As an integral part of the team, working with all the Platts’ commodity sectors, you will be challenged on a daily basis to use the full force of your creativity. There are also opportunities to work on special projects and a wide variety of ad hoc work as your experience develops.
The Team / The Business:
The Design and Production team is a small, dedicated group based in the UK and US producing thousands of graphics a year across nearly 100 different publications and channels.
Our Hiring Manager says:
This is an exciting and creative opening in a fast-paced publishing environment. There is a wide variety of data visualization, infographic and cartographic projects to be worked on and each have their own demands and special content needs. Every day is a new challenge.
• You are an Adobe Illustrator expert (you know the Graph tool)
• You have advanced skills in InDesign
• A solid understanding of HTML, CSS & JS would be ideal
• You can use Microsoft Excel and / or Tableau to represent data
• You’ve created maps using GIS data
• You’ve heard of Edward Tufte and Stephen Few
• You have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as data visualization, graphic design or journalism
• You like working in a deadline-driven atmosphere
• You have the self-confidence to make decisions quickly while managing the varying deadlines, editorial needs and personalities
• You can learn quickly and work independently with no direct supervision.
• You’re eager to learn new skills and ways of visualizing content
• You can keep a clear head in a fast-moving newsroom atmosphere
• You are personable and able to communicate openly with a variety of people with different needs.
• You are proactive and able to delegate in a team environment to handle conflicting priorities simultaneously.
• Creation of compelling data visualizations, infographics and maps
• Ensure files are posted to all delivery channels
• Meet all relevant delivery deadlines