The Role: Cartographer
The Location: Denver
The Team: The team provides geospatial analysis, cartographic design, and data visualization expertise in support of S&P Global Platts mission to provide information and analytics for the energy and commodities markets.
- Enlighten customers and clients with compelling cartographic story-telling
- Contribute to team by providing creative input and workflow collaboration
What’s in it for you:
- Opportunity to work with global experts in the energy industry
- Influence graphical story-telling within Platts products and publications
- Creative freedom by working on special projects
- Collaborate with energy analysts and editors to create cartographic content for Platts publications and reports
- Data analysis and preparation: Utilize GIS software to analyze, process, filter, and symbolize data in preparation for display on maps
- Map production: utilize graphic design software (such as Adobe Creative Suite) and GIS software (such as ESRI ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro) to layout and finish wall maps. Create sophisticated graphs and charts using spreadsheet and graphic design.
- Utilize multiple data sources to generate base data for maps. Review sources and understand data processes in order to collect the most timely and accurate data available. Sources include Platts database, UDI data, and external sources.
- BA or BS in cartography, geography, graphic design, geographic information systems, or related disciplines.
- Understanding of the principles of cartographic design including thematic and statistical mapping, color theory, layout design, hierarchy, and data visualization.
- Understanding of the principles of geographic information systems including database management, data types, coordinate systems, map projections, and basic analytic and statistical functions.
- Ability to analyze and integrate large geographic datasets into an effectively designed cartographic product.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, including Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign in the production of cartographic products.
- Experience in ESRI ArcGIS desktop; familiarity with ArcGIS Desktop Pro
- Portfolio featuring maps and/or graphics that demonstrate the proficiencies above.
- Proficiency in Avenza MaPublisher
- Prior experience with energy industry related data
- Able to work effectively in a team environment or individually in self-guided projects
- Experience with geographic research