The Team: The Central Editing Desk has overall responsibility for editing and publishing content for all of Platts' real-time services as well as extensive involvement with other Platts publications and activities. CED editors are responsible for ensuring the quality and timeliness of our real-time news, analysis and market commentary output across global service lines covering a wide range of energy and commodity sectors. Strength in Digital publishing is critical, too, as Platts looks to more broadly showcase its content on digital and social media platforms.
The Impact: Platts’ CED serves as the gatekeeper for its real-time and digital content – the last pair of eyes on news stories, analysis, market commentaries, and blogs before they are published to readers around the globe. This means, at minimum, ensuring the content is clear and concise, adheres to Platts' house style, has the proper sourcing and attribution, is free of plagiarism and libel concerns, and contains all the tenets of good journalism.
What’s in it for you:
- Opportunity to work as part of a global team of professional copy editors.
- Exposure to critical global commodities markets.
- Chance to help steer the direction of Platts’ content strategy.
- Edit a high volume of often complex copy in a fast-paced environment.
- Assess and prioritize incoming copy.
- Apply the tenets of good journalism while editing content.
- Become expertly acquainted with our written house style.
- Collaborate with reporters and freelancers.
- Help writers develop stories and provide feedback about submitted copy.
- Learn about Platts’ real-time content products and their target audience.
- Understand the workings of our content creation platforms.
- Working in a team with colleagues across the globe.
- Making clear decisions quickly
- High degree of literacy and numeracy
- The ability to edit a high volume of wide-ranging, complex, often sensitive copy, at speed and under pressure.
- The ability to apply the tenets of good journalism while editing content. This means, at minimum, ensuring the content is clear and concise, adheres to Platts' house style, has the proper sourcing and attribution, and is free of plagiarism and libel concerns.
- Processing, and making readable, copy from a wide variety of writing skill levels and cultures, as well as very different styles of material on a broad array of subject matters relevant to Platts.
- Prior experience working on a news desk is a plus, particularly for a newswire or similar environment, such as a busy newspaper office.
- Working knowledge of energy and commodities markets and industries is highly advantageous.