Commercial Director, Japan & Korea
The Role: As a Commercial Director, you have commercial responsibility for the Japan and Korea region and a team of 5 sales individuals consisting of 2 Commercial Managers, 2 Business Development Mangers and 1 Account Manager.
The Impact: Reporting to the Vice President of APAC Sales, this role is responsible for driving the revenue growth of the S&P Global Platts business from Japan and Korea by managing the retention of existing customer accounts as well as developing new business through new logo acquisition and cross selling/up selling activities.
The Business: The team is composed of experienced sales professionals made up of 2 Commercial Managers, 2 Business Development Mangers and 1 Account Manager. The business has a casual and friendly atmosphere with an entrepreneurial spirit. We value team work and it is crucial that you are a team player in order to be successful within our organization.
Your Skills: The individual will exhibit strong leadership skills & behaviors, strategic thinking, a track record of sales success and be a manager who builds a winning sales team.
Our Hiring Manager says: “I’m looking for a leader who has the managerial ability to build a best-in-class team and business plan to help S&P Global Platts protect our existing business and drive exceptional growth in a sustainable manner that enhances our long term reputation in the marketplace.”
- Build a best-in-class commercial team by recruiting and developing top talent. Adjust team resources to fully capitalize individual capabilities whilst maximizing teamwork to function as a unified, motivated and performing team to meet and exceed commercial objectives.
- Manage and drive the creation and assignment of goals, business retention goals, compensation plans, and travel expense budget for the team.
- Guide team to prioritize their work flow, focus and optimize their efforts as they relate to their short, mid and longer term goals attainment. Lead team in complex negotiations and assist with complex/large clients.
- Deliver growth across identified key markets, client segments and across all commodities sectors
- Improve client retention rates and customer satisfaction
- Provide Voice of Customer feedback on new product initiatives and go-to-market initiatives
- Leverage channel partners to achieve growth targets
- Drive best practice and sales excellence
- Drive consistently accurate sales forecasting
- Collaborate with all other functional departments and business regions to achieve end goals. This includes Channel Partners, Editors, Product Managers, Marketing and colleagues from other SPGI businesses.
- Develop the business strategy through a deep understanding of industry requirements, market trends and client requirements
- Degree with minimum 10 years of successful individual sales and managerial experience, preferably in commodity or financial information provider role
- Excellent communication and presentation (verbal/ written) skills in Japanese and English, with Korean as a bonus due to job requirement to communicate with Japanese/Korean clients
- Strong personal integrity, excellent interpersonal skills and work ethics
- Entrepreneurial mindset with strong analytical capabilities; demonstrates drive, initiative, energy and sense of urgency
- Proven success in doing business in Japan is a must. Proven success in doing business in South Korea is bonus
- Broad understanding of the oil & energy industry including understanding the personas of front, mid and back office functions, as well as analysts is preferred
- Evidence of ability to motivate and collaborate across internal stakeholders
- Very strong planning and organizational skills, able to prioritize
- Commitment to drive innovation and change management
- Competent with systems (Oracle, SalesForce, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Frequent travelling required around the region
- Desire and flexibility to learn and grow in an ever-changing environment