Position Title: Fact Checker
S&P Global Market Intelligence
S&P Global Market Intelligence, formerly Capital IQ and SNL Financial, is a division of S&P Global. The firm is a leading provider of financial and industry data, research, news and analytics to investment professionals, government agencies, corporations, and universities worldwide. S&P Global Market Intelligence integrates news, comprehensive market and sector-specific data and analytics into a variety of tools to help track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, understand competitive and industry dynamics, perform valuation and assess credit risk.
For more information, visit: www.spcapitaliq.com
Job Responsibilities: S&P Global Market Intelligence is seeking Fact Checkers for its fast-growing digital newsroom. Based in Gurgaon, Fact Checkers will be part of global quality assurance.
A Fact Checker’s main responsibility is to read published news stories, blogs and data analyses to find and correct inaccuracies. With coverage of metals & mining, real estate, energy, media/communications, banking, insurance and healthcare, each workday brings new challenges and chances to learn. The position is aligned with the company’s goal to deliver accurate news and data to its clients as manifested in its reward program for clients who find errors.
The Impact: Our real-time, subscription-based news service reaches an influential readership that includes investment bankers, buy- and sell-side teams, and regulators. Our massive database of market, regulatory and corporate data offers ample opportunities to enhance and drive your fact-checking skills.
The Career Opportunity: You will have the opportunity to flourish professionally in this role. All Fact Checker roles provide possibilities to move up the career ladder to enable you to take on new and varied responsibilities, including people management and business development, within S&P Global Market Intelligence and across the entire S&P Global group. We already have one former Fact Checker I promoted to the Asst. Manager position and one who has transitioned to another role in the IT department. We are also ramping up our expansion in Gurgaon, Islamabad and Manila to accommodate our new industries which include healthcare and consumer discretionary.
The Team: Members of the Newsroom teams work with colleagues from around the world and from a wide variety of backgrounds, making collaboration and strong communication abilities highly valued. The Newsroom comprises hundreds of journalists from across five continents.
Our Hiring Manager says: “We are looking for detail-oriented people who enjoy looking for errors and take pride in correcting them.”
What to expect:
- Your error-spotting judgment and critical-thinking skills will be at the forefront every day as you sift through company and regulatory websites, press releases, newspapers and other information sources to make sure news articles are factually correct.
- Join teams from across the Newsroom and other parts of the company to help develop the S&P Global Market Intelligence News product.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- B.A./M.A. in English, Communications, Journalism or related field
- An ability to ask intelligent questions and provide constructive feedback
- Fluency in spoken and written business English
- Command of U.S.-style journalistic best practice (AP style, libel issues, etc.)
- A keen eye for spotting errors when comparing an article to its sources, and an affinity for correcting inaccuracies
- Basic computer literacy (including familiarity with Microsoft Word)
Work Schedule/Travel/On Call:
- No travel is required
- Flexible schedule to meet important deadlines
- The work timings are divided rotational pattern and are assigned to an employee based on business requirements, so the applicant should be flexible with all timings
About S&P Global
Formally known as McGraw Hill Financial, it includes Ratings, Market Intelligence, S&P Dow Jones Indices, J.D. Power and Platts. Together, we're the foremost providers of essential intelligence for the capital and commodities markets.
Additional information is available at www.spglobal.com