The Client Development Manager is a senior level position who is able to leverage knowledge of crude, refined products and shipping industries to enhance relationships with key customers and help them realize bottom line benefits from the use of Platts products. Due to the breadth of knowledge the CDM brings to the relationship they are seen by the customer as the guardian of the strategic customer relationship, orchestrating the deployment of corporate-wide resources to provide value to Platts' Key Global Accounts. He/ She is responsible for the development and maintenance of long-term relationships with defined customer base to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction and influence the broader adoption of existing and new services as well as the retention of existing business. As the customer advocate, he/ she must also provide actionable customer feedback that will enhance Platts products and service to earn client business.
Managing Account Relationships
- Main point of contact on account, taking responsibility for the experience the customer has with Platts
- Considers both the big picture as well as the day-to-day when managing the account
- Develops and builds meaningful and lasting relationships with key and influential contacts
- Effectively navigates around client organizations and leverages internal cross-functional resources to create value
- Continuous investigative and collaborative contact with customers to gather strategic information about their business, understands their issues, uncovers unrecognized problems providing solutions to them
- Co-ordinates with all other functions and third parties to help ensure service levels and value add offerings are attained and customer needs are met
- Acts as a broker of capabilities or services for client, advocates internally and facilitates the involvement of sales and other functions to achieve common goals for the client and for Platts
- Understands the client usage of product/services and help define potential use cases or enhancements of new products to benefit client
- Monitors and reports on the health of the relationship between Platts and Key Customers
Driving Increased Usage and Adoption of New Services
- Plays an instrumental role in the initial sales cycle by researching customer business, identifying and qualifying leads, involving Commercial Managers to negotiate and close opportunities
- Promotes non-benchmark services and identifies new product development needs by working across functions within the customer organization to understand their needs and based on their industry knowledge, contribute relevant input to product launch and marketing plans.
- Seeks out cross and up selling opportunities
- Drives interest in trials and demonstrations, participating in their presentation, after providing appropriate customer contacts throughout the customer organization who would be involved in product discussions or testing
- Responds to incremental sales and incoming orders, which are processed via the sales administrator
- Close collaboration with the Commercial Managers
- Prevents cancellations and mitigates risk by ensuring existing clients continue to derive value from Platts services
- Ensures client derives value from enterprise-wide licenses to maintain loyalty by working closely with the Commercial Managers, Account Associates, Customer Care and other functions, to drive increased usage and broad adoption
- Communicates potential client and/or market shifts, changes or reactions, as well as client needs back to appropriate levels
- Monitors and reports on use of Platts’ services and usage levels.
- Contributes to Account Plan and participates in plan implementation.
- Work across regional boundaries with other CDMs to ensure the customer account plan is developed and executed consistently and effectively.
- Provides status risk and opportunity, product development needs
- Updates CRM
- Monthly activity reporting
- Degree with minimum 9 years of successful sales experience managing major or complex accounts, preferably in commodity or financial information provider role
- Broad understanding/communication skills of the oil industry including understanding the personas of front, mid and back office functions, as well as analysts
- Previous use of Platts, Bentek, PIRA or other analytics products is preferred
- Previous use of Reuters, Bloomberg, GlobalView, DTN or other real-time services is preferred
- Excellent communication and presentation (verbal/ written) skills, adds value to the relationship by distilling, summarizing, interpreting and communicating information to facilitate its usefulness
- Proven leadership in managing multi-national global and/or strategic accounts, multi-cultural awareness and regional experience is preferred
- Superior customer relationship management skills, proven ability to develop multiple level of relationships within an account of a strategic nature
- Competent at creating and identifying needs using consultative sales techniques.
- Very strong planning and organizational skills, able to prioritize
- Competent with systems (Oracle, CRM, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Travelling required around the assigned region.