The Role: Sr. SQL Developer
The Location: Ahmedabad
The Platts RigData Data Operations group works to collect and manage market fundamental datasets related to the energy industry through a variety of processes that combine analytical and technical skills. This role is responsible for the development of ETL code to load Completion and Production data to support Platts content and products.
- Reports directly to Automated Data Sourcing Manager
- Interacts with other colleagues at all levels in the conduct of day-to-day activities.
- Participates in project stand-up meetings with Business Analysts and IT staff to assess business needs
- Actively participates in industry forums and user groups
This role is the foundation of the products delivered. The data collected is the base for the company as it feeds into the products, platforms, and is used for analysis by other teams within the company.
What’s in it for you:
- IronPython and SQL development experience and growth
- Opportunity to work with a globally operating team
- Being part of Platts RigData is a nationally recognized Oil & Gas Drilling data provider that monitors oil and gas drilling activity throughout the US and Canada. RigData provides information to a broad range of customers including large multinational corporations and small companies.
The SQL Developer will work in the Data Operations Department to ensure various; sourced collection datasets are successfully loaded into a common PPDM (Professional Petroleum Data Management) data model based on devised business rules by creating fine-tuned stored procedures and SSIS packages. This role is responsible for the analysis, design, documentation, development, unit testing, and support of database objects development and provides support and guidance regarding T-SQL best practices and development standards.
To be successful in this position, one must have a service-oriented mentality and a high sense of ownership in regard to the problems and requests assigned. This role will be responsible for establishing and maintaining communication with the team to keep them updated with status of data enhancement projects; initiating and performing changes to stored procedures, SSIS packages and database design. This role also helps coordinate software issues with other IT organizations including data management, product development, and operations.
- Collaborates with stakeholders and development team members to achieve business results.
- Design, develop, test, tune, and implement database objects and any supporting T-SQL scripts using Microsoft SQL Server. This includes but is not limited to stored procedures, views, functions, data manipulation scripts and ETL.
- Recommends and provide guidance regarding database development, T-SQL best practices, and development standards to the development team members as needed. This includes but is not limited to providing assistance with T-SQL code and performance tuning, controls approvals, data manipulation scripting and ETL.
- Create and propose technical design documentation which includes current and future functionality, database objects affected, specifications, and flows/diagrams to detail the proposed implementation.
- Participate in the establishment of group standards and processes. Helps drive technology direction and choices of technologies by making recommendations based on experience and research.
- Mentors, supports and offers SQL guidance to other application development staff and team members.
- Ensures project objectives are completed in a timely manner, consistently achieving team commitments .Builds batch jobs, and related interfaces that are consistent with the objective of stated development and business goals
- Participates in the product development process from requirements definition to application deployment
What We’re Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- MCSA/MCSE certification is desirable.
- Minimum 10+ work experience and 5-7+ years of experience with SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016 T-SQL coding.
- Experience with index design and T-SQL performance tuning techniques
- Experience with advanced query design, stored procedures, views and functions
- Experienced designing and implementing large-scale database solutions that are reliable, scalable, and perform at high levels
- Working knowledge of security and privacy issues SQL 2008/2014
- Familiarity with RDBMS principles, database design and normalization
- Previous experience with SSIS and SSRS is preferred
- Demonstrates initiative and works independently with minimal supervision
- Exposure to Database Administration i.e. Replication, Backup\Restore strategies, Clustering, Log-shipping is a plus
- Demonstrated technical leadership
- Must be able to effectively communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical personnel
- Strong interpersonal skills - must be able to work effectively as part of a project team and foster team co-operation
- Strong quantitative, analytical, problem solving, organizational, communication and interpersonal skills are required
- Ability to stay current with rapidly changing technology and applies it to business needs
- Understanding of oil and gas industry is desired but not required
- Attention to detail and maintaining high quality standards is a must
- Ability to comprehend complex technical and logical concepts and adapt quickly to change
- Effectively communicates using written, oral, non-verbal, and active listening skills. Has the ability to clearly present an idea or concept so others understand, lets others speak, and engages productively in difficult conversations while upholding our ethical values
About Company (Global) & EEO Statements (NA Only): Auto-populated by our ATS. Do Not Manually add this language to your job posting.