Conducts primary research in support of thought leadership, ratings education, transparency and analytical outreach to Head of Analytics and Research as well as USPF Analytical Leaders & Sector Leaders. Requires a general knowledge of U.S. Public Finance sectors and criteria, ability to analyze and work extensively with large data sets and possess advanced Excel, Power Point and graphics capabilities. This individual would have responsibility for real time monitoring of events in the public finance market in order to enhance the team’s ability to comment swiftly on events relevant to the market place. This position would require strong quantitative skills and the ability to utilize various USPF databases and systems to support thought leadership and key research efforts. Familiarity with federal government data sources, such as U.S Census Bureau and U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis. Strong writing skills would be necessary to support the event driven publications as well as assistance in other research and thought leadership activities. Must be able to work independently and collaboratively across multiple teams and have organizational skills sufficient to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Supports research efforts; both event driven, median reports and thought leadership.
Assists with the development of strong graphics and Power Point presentations to differentiate and enhance our external presentations.
Develops and maintains a centralized source of news information, including digital media, and carries out research for industry monitoring including examining corporate or municipal financial technical information.
Works across analytical groups to provide statistical data to support publishing efforts.
Minimum and Preferred Education
- BA or BS in economics, public policy, public health, finance, statistics, engineering, mathematics, or business related field.
Minimum and Preferred Experience/Skills (Basic Qualifications)
- 2-5 years of related credit,research, and/or reporting experience, preferably in Public Finance sector.
- Proven experience with statistical/ data processing software packages such as R, SAS, Python or other data or scripting language. Ability to process large data sets of structured and unstructured information
- Experience in data mining, relational databases, and database queries (Oracle and/or SAS). Experience building and maintaining a solution to collect, store, and organize data to address client needs.
- Experience using data visualization (e.g. tables, charts, graphs) to represent analysis to a broad audience.
- Demonstrated expertise in problem solving and enthusiasm for learning.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access.
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written) skills. Good listening and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and motivation, with the ability to work independently and in a team environment