The Role: Senior Index Manager
The Location: Amsterdam
The Team: The EMEA Index Management Team within the Global Index Management & Production Group.
The Impact: The Senior Index Manager is responsible for a wide range of indices across global equity markets, with a focus on the EMEA region. The Senior Index Manager is required to make presentations to Index Committees for all matters relevant to their assigned indices and is also required to act as a backup to other managers in the department, making in-depth knowledge of their product line essential.
What’s in it for you: As a Senior Index Manager, you will work collaboratively with a wide range of indices across global markets and must be able to analyze and implement complex index methodology and solve non-routine problems on an on-going basis. The Senior Index Manager is responsible for all aspects of an assigned group of indices and as part of that responsibility, makes recommendations for index membership and presents changes to the index committee.
The Senior Index Manager will be a subject matter expert, an example and escalation point for more junior team members and a back-up for the team leader.
In addition, the Senior Index Manager will be required to:
- Preparing and calculating S&P and Dow Jones branded indices, ensuring timely and accurate delivery of real-time and end-of-day index data to clients and end users
- Ensure corporate actions of company constituents in each assigned index are correctly applied in SPDJI proprietary system according to index methodology and validate special treatment for index specific items
- Perform analytical research on companies to determine the composition of assigned indices, interpreting complex index methodology and adjusting data in our calculation system, and adjusting the data to conform to the rules of the index.
- Perform index rebalances by interpreting index methodology, running models and research for adds/drops, implementing changes and communicating these appropriately to clients, all with a focus on quality and accuracy.
- Serve on the index committees and make presentations of original, non-routine analysis to committee in support of the indices for which the senior index manager is responsible. Decisions reached by committee determine index composition and drive asset allocations.
- Take responsibility for the management of high profile indices, acting as an industry expert and displaying in-depth knowledge of our product lines.
- Provide timely and accurate responses to enquiries from clients via internal functions such as Client Coverage and Index Services
- Manage and maintain key relationships with other groups within the department and across other departments, particularly Product Management, Client Coverage, Index Services and IT Support
- Work in close coordination with the technology group and production support group to further enhance our system capabilities
- A demonstrable understanding of global financial markets
- Must be able to work independently on multiple projects with minimal direction or supervision.
- Ability to assume responsibility, work with others and manage projects
- Bachelor’s Degree. Advanced degree in business, math, economics, or finance strongly preferred
- Minimum of 4 years of professional experience working with financial indices.
- Experience with corporate action research, stock-screening, index rebalancing
- Strong understanding of how indices are used, the impact of different methodologies, corporate event events on both indices and financial portfolios.
- Superior computer skills in Excel, Word and related applications. Access, VBA, SQL would be an advantage.
- Ability to learn S&P’s proprietary index calculation engines
- Excellent analytical and numerical capabilities to aid in solving non-routine problems in a timely fashion