Director of Agile Practices: Scrum Coach and Portfolio Management
The S&P Global Platts team seeks to add a key member to our leadership. This person will play a pivotal role in our strategic transformation from product to platform-centric software engineering practices and our transition from ScrumAFall/Adhoc development to Agile development methodology. These efforts are occurring within the broader context of major strategic initiatives to extend our market leadership, enhance customer experience, and implement next-generation software technology. In short, it represents an exciting and visible opportunity to join our team during a dynamic period of fundamental organizational and operational changes.
The right person will get to work with amazingly smart people to help foster our transformation and in the delivery of key strategic initiatives and product:
• We are looking for a “coach” who will identify, train, and develop our next generation of scrum masters and project managers. You will have a vested interest in their professional development and will ensure their successful integration into our project teams. You’ll serve as a visible leader and advocate for our broader transition to Agile/Scrum development methodology, and you will ensure that the methodology is exercised consistently, appropriately and productively among many teams. With your extensive interpersonal skills, you’ll engage and energize project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
• Our leadership is looking to add an individual who cultivates deep and highly effective relationships within a dynamic environment spanning many teams and efforts. You’re a natural, who inspires trust and respect across a variety of disciplines. Check your title at the door – you lead through influence.
• It’s not just about managing the day-to-day activities, either. You’ll be asked to help manage the strategic planning processes, participating in, and in some cases leading, conversations with key stakeholders to develop product roadmap and creating detail project plans (including resource planning). You’ll facilitate alignment with business strategy and enterprise architecture teams.
• We need someone to oversee the demand management pipeline, implementing disciplines to ensure that the product backlogs remain current, transparent and prioritized. You’ll own the status reporting and measurement efforts and will keep your finger on the pulse of our activities, evaluating risks and communicating status to upper management and stakeholders.
• You’re going to be asked to drive the established portfolio management process across the organization. We need to provide senior executives with forward and backward looking visibility into resource allocation and value realization, and you’ll be front-and-center in this effort.
• You know that it’s not about the tools but agree that tools can help, so you’ll leverage our investment in Microsoft Visual Studio Team Server (“VSTS”) to measure demand and effort. With your command of VSTS and its reporting capabilities, you’ll be a wiz at publishing relevant and actionable reporting at both the project team and executive-level. And because you don’t want others to have to take their eye off the ball, you’ll work to reduce the overhead (real and perceived) required by the team for effective demand and portfolio management disciplines.
• Finally, the software engineering VPs/Directors seeks a trusted advisor, facilitator and creative problem solver who will monitor, evaluate and continuously strive to improve the organization. You’ll be implementing continuous improvements to the project management process, and you’ll work to extend the benefits of your leadership beyond the core Platts teams, sharing process frameworks, tools and best practices that may be adopted throughout the enterprise.
Here are the kinds of skills we are looking for:
• Engineering Excellence. You have at least 10 years of experience in a variety of contexts during which you’ve contributed to the construction of scalable, extensible software solutions and systems. These contributions could take many forms – analysis, development, testing and/or project management. You understand technology and possess a passion for excellence.
• Bias towards action. You believe that speed and quality aren’t mutually exclusive. You’ve shown good judgment about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way — and you’re comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
• Superior teaching skills. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you’ll grow a team of dedicated scrum masters and cultivate the skills needed for software engineers, quality assurance analysts, and business analysts to assist their teams onboarding to scrum.
• Passion and energy. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
• Commitment. At S&P Global Platts, commitment to customer satisfaction and technology excellence permeates everything we do. You care tremendously about delighting our users and ensuring that our market and technical leadership is sustained and extended. You are your harshest critic and hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team’s scope.
• At least ten years’ experience as a manager in a software engineering environment. Must have at least five years’ experience managing software engineering using Agile/Scrum.
• At least three years’ experience in portfolio or demand management, preferably in an environment in which you played a role in establishing these disciplines.
• Possess strong technical competency, preferably from hands-on experience in software or systems development. Engineers respect you as a credible project manager and enjoy working with you.
• Experience working with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies, with a keen understanding of respective strengths and weaknesses and ability to guide others on the journey from Waterfall to Agile. Scrum Master Certification is preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
• Results oriented. Detailed oriented. Driven. Take initiative without being asked.
• Bachelor’s Degree required.