The Role: Paralegal
The Location: Charlottesville, Virginia
The Team: The Paralegal will be a member of the SPGMI legal department, which is comprised of attorneys and non-attorney professionals. The team supports the division’s commercial organization, product development/technology functions and business management/leadership.
The Impact: The Paralegal is tasked with responding to internal client inquiries, providing substantive legal support to attorneys and non-attorney contract negotiators along with some administrative tasks, training the commercial organization on legal and contracting procedures, negotiating certain standard commercial agreements such as NDAs and Trial Agreements, as well as assisting with special projects such as research, process review and innovation, and information review and analysis.
What’s in it for you?
You will have the opportunity to work in a dynamic, client-facing (both internal and external) environment. Operating both independently and being an essential part of a legal team that provides crucial support to the organization make this role intriguing.
- Provide administrative and substantive legal support to attorneys and contract negotiators, including assistance with drafting legal correspondence, agreements and other legal documents.
- Train internal clients on commercial team as to internal licensing procedures and systems.
- Respond to legal support requests from internal business clients, including requests to assist with RFP/RFI/RFQs/corporate documents.
- Navigate contracts database and other internal systems to track and obtain information on SPGMI’s contractual relationships.
- Participate in and/or lead special projects, including due diligence activities related to acquisitions and divestitures, legal research, data compilation, and analysis.
What We’re Looking For:
- Excellent interpersonal skills: collegial, and comfortable with frequent client-facing interactions (via e-mail, phone, and in-person).
- Strong verbal/written communication and business writing/legal drafting abilities.
- Project management experience.
- Comfortable working independently but with ability to identify issues and advance accordingly.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn quickly and adapt easily.
- Highly-organized with ability to efficiently multitask and prioritize work for several simultaneous tasks in a dynamic environment.
- Capacity to manage multiple priorities at a time.
- College degree and at least three years of related experience.
- Strongly proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat.
- Prior paralegal or business/legal affairs department experience.
- Proven working knowledge of contractual and intellectual property issues.
- Experience working with Salesforce.com or similar CRM applications.
- Experience drafting and negotiating basic commercial agreements, such as NDAs, trial agreements, and simple licensing agreements.
At S&P Global Market Intelligence, we know that not all information is important—some of it is vital. Accurate, deep and insightful. We integrate financial and industry data, research and news into tools that help track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, understand competitive and industry dynamics, perform valuation and assess credit risk. Investment professionals, government agencies, corporations and universities globally can gain the intelligence essential to making business and financial decisions with conviction.
S&P Global Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit, S&P Global Market Intelligence
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions on the basis of merit, capability and equality of opportunity, and without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law, or any other characteristic that has no bearing on a person’s ability to perform his or her job.
Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.