The Role: Core Engineer – Compute and Cloud Operations
The Location: VA area
The Team: The Compute and Cloud Operations team is responsible to develop infrastructure architecture and standards for deployments in SPGlobal data centers in collaboration with the SPGlobal business and service providers to ensure the delivery of services is predictable and of high quality at the right cost. The team is also responsible to ensure public cloud operations delivers on a predictable, scalable, secure and easy to use environment.
The Impact: The Core Engineer for Compute and Cloud Operations is a critical role responsible for gathering business requirements, developing technical options to solve complex business problems, setting standards and applying established architectures and standards to solve business problems in collaboration with the SP Global business and service providers. The Core Engineer is also responsible to oversee solutions delivered by third parties and provide governance to ensure the environment remains compliant with the established architecture.
What’s in it for you: This role presents a unique opportunity to drive infrastructure solutions for the entire company across all divisions. This role offers the right candidate a ground floor opportunity to build new systems and deliver new technology and standards to modernize the company’s environment. It also provides the opportunity to be deeply involved in a hybrid cloud environment and play a very influential role on how the private cloud interfaces with public cloud providers.
- Improved and optimized service delivery performance
- Enhanced operational reliability and flexibility
- Continuous improvement with technology standards
- Cost reduction and rationalization of fixed and variable costs
- Continued focus on standards implementation and leverage of common solutions
- Deliver information technology infrastructure initiatives that drive platform stability, innovation, and compliance.
- Continuous review of provider operations and solutions to include hardware configurations, storage administration, system upgrades, day-to-day operations monitoring, service level management, and data migration.
- Ensures solution designs incorporate integration functions.
- Coordinate with business partners to fully understand business requirements.
- Ensure designs incorporate SPGI’s cloud first initiative.
- Recommend strategic decisions and directions for new product selection
- Manage lifecycle review of infrastructure components and technologies based on input from Customer
- Provide leadership to Service Provider for product evaluations, including product evaluation analysis, RFI/RFP analysis, and Proof of Concepts ("POCs")
- Provide leadership to Service Provider for standard use framework, to include standard products, design packages, installation packages, support packages, and test plans
- Provide leadership to Service Provider for product roadmaps/catalog, maintaining a two (2) year outlook on product evolution
- Collaboratively work with business segment and business unit application development teams
- Support workflow for collaboration on business decisions against product selection and lifecycle
- Develop position papers on new products or new major releases
- Product lifecycle change business case – proposing change of status of a product along with benefits and impact to the current environment
What We’re Looking For:
- A broad understanding and experience in multiple technical design areas.
- A successful track record in project definition and technical management.
- Extensive experience with developing strategic plans.
- Hands-on experience with business requirements gathering/analysis.
- Proven experience in systems design and development.
- Background in varied technologies such as telecommunications, client server architectures, electronic commerce infrastructures, enterprise and workgroup server platforms
- A broad understanding of all major technical platforms, technical architecture models, and enterprise architecture strategies.
- In-depth technical knowledge of network, PC, and platform operating systems.
- Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards.
- Solid grounding in core enterprise applications.
- Expert knowledge of programming language capabilities.
- Hands-on experience with engineering tools.
- Strong knowledge of hardware and software evaluation principles and practice.
- In-depth knowledge of engineering standards, methodologies, and processes.
- Understanding of change management and testing requirements, techniques, and tools.
- Ability to create constructive relationships, influence, and communicate (to project team, IT management, and non-technical staff).
- Ability to lead complex, cross-functional problem-solving initiatives.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional understanding of the company’s goals and objectives.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent technical architecture and technical support documentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal and consultative skills.
- Ability to conduct research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of computer science, information systems, or computer engineering.
- 10+ years’ work experience
- Advanced degree strongly desired
- Good knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
- Proven project planning
Please note:This position is limited to individuals who will not require company sponsorship now or in the future for continued work authorization.
About S&P Global Market Intelligence
At S&P Global Market Intelligence, we know that not all information is important—some of it is vital. Accurate, deep and insightful. We integrate financial and industry data, research, and news into tools that help track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, understand competitive and industry dynamics, perform valuation and assess credit risk. Investment professionals, government agencies, corporations and universities globally can gain the intelligence essential to making business and financial decisions with conviction.
Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies, and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit: S&P Global Market Intelligence.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.