The Role: Index Manager, Custom Index Management (S&P Dow Jones Indices)
The Location: Amsterdam, NL
The Team: As the world’s largest resource for iconic and innovative indices, we help investors identify, measure and capitalize on global investment opportunities.
The Impact: S&P Global is seeking an experienced and talented Custom Index Manager in charge to manage a wide range of indices covering mostly Capital markets - equities, fixed income, commodities, derivatives and real estate.
Your Impact: The Index Manager must be able to analyze and implement complex index methodology and solve non-routine problems on an on-going basis and have experience and ability to interact with S&P proprietary calculation systems and work with large and complex data sets in excel. You will also be involved in the support of sales, marketing and client services by speaking and meeting with clients and index users. You will maintain key relationships with clients in support of their indices and are also required to act as a backup to other index managers in the department, making knowledge of the entire product line essential.
- Preparing and calculating client custom indices. This includes performing analytical research on companies to determine the composition of the index, adjusting data in our calculation system, and adjusting the data to conform to the rules of the index.
- Must ensure timely and accurate delivery of real-time and end-of-day index data to clients and end users.
- Preparing and delivering announcements as they relate to index changes to clients and end users in advance of the implementation of the changes.
- Maintain, update and troubleshoot complex index models in excel on a daily basis.
- Provide customer service to existing custom index clients as it pertains to their indices.
- Quantitative analyses of index returns, weights and constituents.
- Manages and maintain relationships with key members of other groups within S&P Index Services, across other S&P departments, particularly IT.
- Successfully work with S&P proprietary calculation systems.
Skills and Experiences We Are Looking For:
- Bachelor’s Degree. Advanced degree in a quantitative subject strongly preferred.
- Required: Excel/VBA to manage and manipulate large data sets.
- Desirable: Experience in using data vendors e.g. Bloomberg, Reuters (Eikon/Datascope), Factset.
- Desirable: Minimum of 2+ years of professional experience in a financial services or analytics role.
- Strong understanding of equity index math and concepts, financial markets and financial instruments.
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent analytical and quantitative capabilities to solve original, non-routine problems in a timely and insightful manner.
- Must be able to work independently on multiple projects with minimal direction or supervision.
- Detail oriented with ability to consistently perform daily production tasks.
- Ability to learn new data and calculation platforms in a limited time.
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to coordinate work done by multiple people and / or groups.
- Experience dealing with customers in a time-sensitive demanding environment where interpretation of data has both objective and subjective components requiring persuasion and influencing skills.