The Role: Manager of State and Local Income Tax
The Location: 55 Water Street New York, NY
The Team and Impact: S&P Global is seeking a State and Local Tax Manager with experience in US state and local income taxation of corporations. This positions will report to the Director of State and Local Tax and join a team primarily responsible for all aspects of S&P Global’s state and local income tax compliance, audit and accounting. In addition, this position will provide guidance to all S&P business units on direct tax matters. The State and Local Tax Manager will assist in monitoring state tax legislation changes and participate in the analysis of the impact to S&P Global.
Tax Compliance and Audit
- Prepare all State and Local Income and Franchise Tax Returns (Stand-alone, Combined, and Unitary)
- Prepare and gather apportionment data for tax compliance.
- Prepare quarterly estimated income tax payments and extensions for state income taxes
- Provide assistance with the preparation of the federal income tax return.
- Manage overall state tax compliance calendar and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a timely manner
- Manage state and local tax notices and assist with or support state tax audit examinations
- Assist in the preparation of the state and local quarterly and annual tax provision, effective tax rate, deferred taxes and income taxes payable in accordance with ASC 740 including state uncertain tax positions
- Assist in the validation of material deferred tax balances annually
- Maintain state payable roll-forward and cash tax schedules
Tax Planning and Research
- Assist in preparing and maintaining models of state tax impacts of Federal Tax Reform and methodologies for implementation of compliance and provision.
- Participate in the review of state tax filing positions as impacted by Federal Tax Reform and analyze impact to the Company
- Monitor state tax legislation changes and assist with analysis of the impact to the Company
- Participate in researching and documenting positions to support conclusions on various state tax issues
- Identify areas of opportunity for process improvement with respect to state tax compliance and provision and implement technology tools and automation of processes
- Prepare dataflows to support tax compliance and provision calculations
- Respond and interact with business units on all state and local direct tax matters.
- Work closely with third party advisers who are assisting us in meeting our obligations.
- Provide assistance to troubleshoot and resolve issues surrounding the technical application of our tax technology solutions.
- Maintain State and local matrices of the Company’s nexus footprint by business unit
- Operate as a team player and work beyond state tax
- Opportunity to participate in special ad-hoc projects
- Preparing approximately 140 state and local income/franchise tax returns (Unitary/combined/standalone).
- Coordinating tax payments of approximately $70m annually
- Challenge existing practices & test new ideas.
- Work with all levels within the corporation
- Produce consistent, high quality work.
- Participate in discussions with senior management on state and local tax- related issues.
- 5 years plus of professional tax experience with at least 2+ years of experience in accounting for income taxes under US GAAP preferred
- Experience with a "Big Four" accounting firm preferred
- Experience with State income tax compliance
- The candidate must demonstrate the ability to use tax knowledge and previous experience to add value and assist in meeting the department's objectives while working in a fast-paced organization
- General knowledge of accounting and federal income taxation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to utilize technology systems and databases adopted by the Company
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, specifically Excel and OneSource (e.g. Pivot tables, VLOOKUP’s)
- Works well independently and in a team environment
- BA/BS in Accounting and/or Master’s degree in Taxation
- CPA Preferred
At S&P Global, we don’t give you intelligence—we give you essential intelligence. The essential intelligence you need to make decisions with conviction. We’re the world’s foremost provider of ratings, benchmarks and analytics in the global capital and commodity markets. Our divisions include:
- S&P Global Ratings, which provides credit ratings, research and insights essential to driving growth and transparency.
- S&P Global Market Intelligence, which provides insights into companies, markets and data so that business and financial decisions can be made with conviction.
- S&P Dow Jones Indices, the world’s largest resource for iconic and innovative indices, which helps investors pinpoint global opportunities.
- S&P Global Platts, which equips customers to identify and seize opportunities in energy and commodities, stimulating business growth and market transparency.
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related to such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdfdescribes discrimination protections under federal law.